GO!

Itchy skin---help!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Clancy

Clancy--full of- life!!! Full- time pooch

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '07 8:31am PST 
Clancy has very itchy skin. She takes oatmeal baths and special skin capsules. Now she is taking 3/4 of a Benadryl. Anyone else with the same problem? Any solutions? HELP!!!!
[notify]
William Tell

I regret- nothing!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 4:58pm PST 
Yes, we know about those itchies. Tell had severe allergies and was miserable as a puppy. We did allergy testing and found out that he had horrible allergies to almost everything around him (except cats, go figure). He now takes monthly allergen injections and has done well for five years on them. They are less expensive than other ways of treating skin problems, and he's much healthier, too. Those cortisone shots are hard on the liver with time.

You can go to www.bmslab.com for more information. That's where we get Tell's allergen. Your vet can help you with the testing as it's a blood sample. Also see Tell's blog http://williamtellsspot.blogspot.com/ for more information. Hope this helps.
[notify]
Cowboy

Cowboy- Mr.Itchy Butt

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '07 6:40pm PST 
Dear Tell,

Our pooch Cowboy has been a victim from the evil itchies. We have tried the shot which worked very well, until it seemed to wear off. The vet said we could not keep using the shot because of the liver problems. The allgeries have seemed to slow down for the winter. We have also tried oatmeal baths and special shampoos. Nothing seems to work. I'm so confused! Please HELP!!!!!!!
[notify]

Zoe- Blumenthal-F- riedman

Life revolves- around Zoe.

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 6:05pm PST 
I recently switched vets and our new vet is WONDERFUL and VERY THOROUGH - Zoe has had very itchy and red skin all over since she was a puppy (she is 2.5 now) - we used to use benadryl, but that would just knock her out (which is saying a lot for a foxie), and various lotions, etc. didn't work great. We now use Aveeno shampoo (Oatmeal-based) and are using a special diet for sensitive skin dogs that we purchase thru our vet's office...this has worked remarkably well (although the food is expensive...ask your vet of there are any 'over-the-counter' sensitive/itchy skin treatment food/kibble products available online or at a pet retail location that are less expensive but comparably effective). Also, while the oatmeal-based shampoo can help, you should not bathe your dog more than every 2-3 wks to prevent further irritation from dry skin.
[notify]
Buckley

Sir Buckley of- Kenworthy

Barked: Sun Nov 23, '08 11:01am PST 
We are starting immuno therapy this week for itchy skin caused by allergies.......hope it works. This is after trying special food, shampoos, Benedryl and steroids.

Edited by author Sun Nov 23, '08 11:05am PST

[notify]
Sunny

Daddy says I am- a chick magnet !

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 3:01pm PST 
I have a bad case of the itchies too.

My dad is trying everything, but now wonders if I am faking it to get sympathy and attention. He said he notices when I am on a fantastic car ride, sleeping on his bed or on very a long walk I don't itch at all. He think it's only when he is not paying attention to me I scratch to get his attention. I will download this thread, print it out and put it in his slippers just so he knows us Foxies get our itchies and we are NOT Faking it!!

Hugs and Fishes

Sunny
hamster dance
[notify]
Stella Bella

Do you have any- beef for me?

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 1:09pm PST 
Stella has done really well with Natural Balance food - Sweet Potato & Duck Allergy formula. It is less expensive than vet food, and her allergies are probably not as severe as some of the other pups, but it has helped her. Petco carries it and I believe Petsmart as well.
[notify]
Cody Boy

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 11:33pm PST 
I am grateful for this sight and hope to get some answers, for my dog.
With empathy, I now find that I am not alone in trying to find solutions for his skin problems. After spending a lot of money and seeing many vets, I am trying to answer his needs on my own.

He will heal and then just a few months later, the issues will start again. Ear infection in one ear, is a problem that I fight. Sometimes, he has a yeast infection in the ear. I am right now not having any problems there, for a change.

He is going NUTZZZZZZ at biting himself and not relaxing with his own misery. Consequently, I am not sleeping at night when he starts on a jag. He does seem to calm down, when he is RIGHT beside us.

I see that he NOW takes off and finds many places to hide. He has also decided that he is "allowed" to sit or lie on the furniture. I
have given him some slack about that in certain rooms.

We use the oatmeal bath shampoo, the tar shampoo (as needed) and the shampoo for yeast infection. We alternate according to how he is doing. I have increased his oil intake, wit cod liver oil, fish oil and a tip of peanut butter for his pills.

He gets pills for the joints. He also is now on a vitamin. I had him on straight chicken and yoghurt for a week before putting him on another special food.

He has not had a corn product for years. He now gets no white potatoes for a treat, as I read they are not good for a yeast infection.

I had him on an antihistamine for weeks. But, I thought maybe it was drying him out too much. Now, I am trying to just give him the oil supplements, hoping that might work.

He looks horrible, now since he is biting and licking. He has patches of no hair. The hair that he does have is nice and soft. I can see some fuzz in the sunlight coming back. But, his feet are sensitive and he will not let me clip his knots. This is absolutely the worse that I have ever seen him.

He has had the shots and the pills in the past.

He is the smartest dog, that I have ever been around. But, he is also the sickest one, too.

Any suggestions?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 1:22am PST 
My first wire fox terrier had skin problems, did all the allergy testing stuff and brought the low allergy food, tried the shampoos. After talking to other wire hairs owners/breeders and having two more since the lovely Finn passed away I beliew that some of it is to do with the grooming. Most people seem to clip rather than strip. I used to think that stripping was cruel but my last two wire hairs have had no problems with the stripping - as long as you find a good groomer. It seems that if clipped their hair grows back downie and soft and not the wire which is their breed. You are probably too late to do this but something like a furminator might help. Bathing them all the time will take away the oil which can leave to itchy skin. Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 5:49am PST 
We had the same problem with our wire fox. Tried lots of stuff (cortisonen, shampoos,...). What finally did the trick was changing his food. Before he was getting dry food (which he didn't like, whatever brand it was), but 4-6 weeks after we started feeding BARF the itch was gone. Sometimes he gets an itchy spot when he's been bitten by a flee but with a monthly drop in his neck, that's solved too. Also, BARF is much cheaper the the anti allergic dry food, and most important HE LOVES IT! I also stopped washing him.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2