GO!

whippets vs. iggys?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sylvie

need help moving- cats around?

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 9:43pm PST 
I am planning on getting a whippet or an Italian greyhound in the future and am wondering what their main differences are (besides size). I've heard Iggys are hard to house train, same for whippets? thinking
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 11:49am PST 
There are several differences between iggys and whippets. I have 2 whippets and my good friend has 3 iggys and we get them together at least twice a week to play. Whippets are not hard to house train. I have a 5month old whippet and she doesn't have as many accidents as my friend's 2 year old iggy. There is also a difference in energy level. Iggys have a lot more energy than whippets. Don't get me wrong, whippets love to play but I think they love to sleep more. Iggys also tend to be shy skiddish breed. My male whippet is a therapy dog and is hard to scare. Both breeds have a tendency to have seperation anxiety but that is calmed with a another canine companion. So it really depends on what you want out of a dog. They are both great breeds but have distinctive personalities. I hope that helps!
[notify]
Sylvie

need help moving- cats around?

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 6:13pm PST 
Thank you! I think a whippet sounds right for me, course I will keep doing my research! applausedog
[notify]

Milo

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 7:01pm PST 
I have two whippets and my roommate has an iggy. I brought home the whippets when they were 12 weeks old and they each had one accident in the house since then. They iggy has one about once a month and she gets walked four times a day! I love them all. The whippets are more versatile and enjoy a 13 mile day hike, can better tolerate the cold (but can't be left outside for long periods of time in winter), and are more active. However, they're both great breeds.
[notify]