GO!

Cremation ashes, 1 year later

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:31pm PST 
It has been one year today since we unexpectedly had to euthanize our dog. I have been unable to do anything with his ashes, they have remained in a box on my desk as I just couldn't quite think of the right thing to do with them. I think today I am going to bury them around the tree in our front yard. He was a territorial, vigilant dog, and I think he would like the idea of being out front to keep watch. I am surprised at how hard it is to take this step, I never expected to keep his ashes for more than a few days but it must be the symbolism of it that makes it so hard.

What have other people done with their dog's cremation ashes?
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:02pm PST 
This is homocentric, but ashes are ashes, and this is a nice idea rather than scattering:

bios tree urn
[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 5:39pm PST 
My Frenchie, Gertrude, lived for kayaking so I took her ashes on a kayaking trip to her favorite pond and buried them on an island there. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around scattering them on the water.
Like you, it took me a while... she died in September and I took her ashes out in June of the following year.
Sadly, when Lukie died it was totally unexpected and I was away so he was cremated in a mass cremation. I do have his favorite toy on a shelf in our boarding kennel and take it down and hold it often!
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 12:38am PST 
I have Freeways ashes in a sealed box that sits near my bed on a shelf. When I first lost her that box became a huge source of comfort to me. It felt like I still had her, I talked to her constantly. I still talk to her and now the box has become more of a bittersweet memory. I cannot imagine not having it near though, it is the last piece of her I have.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 5:24pm PST 
I've kept my cat's ashes on my bedside table with a clipping of his fur and his red, white, and blue collar in the nice wooden box the ashes came in. Not a dog, I know, but still the most meaningful pet I'd had up to that point (he died before Onyx was born). Somehow the idea of scattering or burying his ashes has never really crossed my mind. I don't know if it's because I like having a physical memento, or I'm just not ready to let go yet (he died in 2010).

I think it's a highly personal choice what one does with their pet's remains. Everyone grieves differently and every pet is different. You should do what feels right to you, in the time that feels right.

Edited by author Sat Jun 1, '13 10:08pm PST

[notify]
Duchess- 7/21/03-1/14- /12 Love U

Sleeping Beauty- needs her beauty- sleep!

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 10:21am PST 
I agree with Sabi and Onyx. I can't bear to not have Duchess near me always. I feel some sort of comfort knowing she is someplace I can always see her whenever I want, talk to her and be able to touch and kiss her even if it is only her urn. little angel
[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 10:35am PST 
When I lost Gertrude our clinic offered a foot print in plaster. I had that done, along with a swatch of her hair, and painted it a color that matched a portrait I have of her. I keep them both hanging right above my desk...in fact, there are way, way too many paintings of pals I have lost hanging above my desk!!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 6:29pm PST 
I've got Turner, Baby and Boomer in urns. I have some of Turner's ashes in a necklace I wear and in a necklace in my SUV. I like the comfort of him being near me. Miss him cry
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 7:44am PST 
I have not been able to scatter the ashes of my dogs. Right now I am holding on to four boxes of ashes in a drawer in my bedroom. I just cannot scatter them and like to have them near me. I tease my Aunt (who is our executrix) that when I have my ashes scattered she will also have 50 lbs of dog ashes to scatter with mine. Everyone has their own preferences how to keep their passed on fur babies with them.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:39pm PST 
I still have the ashes of my first dog Frosty with me... 14 years later. We got him when I was 3, he was 3 too. He died at the age of 14 and I was heartbroken. His ashes have been with me since then. My mother has our Rotties ashes with her still as well, 6 years later. Our dogs mean something big to us and we can't seem to think of letting go to the one part we still have of them.

To each their own! hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2