GO!

Other pets and the time to say goodbye... A question

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 11:58am PST 
Hi,

I post a lot of hypotheticals and I wanted to know about something kind of important to me. i hope this is the right place to ask this.

Jake and Caroline dispite having only been together for a few weeks are like a pair of old souls. THey do everything together. She is of advanced age (10) at the moment. I'm doing all I can to provide her with a long happy life but I was wondernig something.

If the time comes and I have to make the decision to help her over the bridge. I really hope this doesn't happen for a long time. But I need to know. Would it be good to take Jake with us? Assuming it's not some emergency situation? Well even in an emergency Jake would probably come with us.

Since currently they go everywhere including vet, groomer, daycare together just so they're not apart. If she's not there Jake tends to loose it.

I was wondering if it would do more harm then good leaving Jake at home and then coming back without her. Or taking him with us and have him there.

I've never had to help a furkid over the bridge before. I've only known one cat that needed assistance. All the others either left on there own or were killed. But in my family each time an animal dies we take all the other animals to their grave before we bury them so they "Kind of get the idea" or so I was told by my father.

But I know that if I had to take Caroline away and help her all i'd get back is her collar and harness and a box. I guess I'm worried about Jake's closure with the subject.

Or am I merely over complicating things?

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be helpful.

I really hope this won't happen for a long time but it weights on me a little bit. If you've seen any of my other posts you see I worry about a lot of things and want things to be "as right as possible".

Thank you for your advise and wisdom.

Jake & Caroline's Mom
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 1:28pm PST 
Animals have a very good sense of knowing when anothers life is fading.

Many vets are sympathetic to a close fur pal being present.. allowing them to sniff.. and it often seems they are very aware the "Light" has gone out.

I have been in this situation some years ago.. and it was at home... and it passed peacefully and gently. The surviving dog (without attaching too much "human" feelings on my part to the event)seemed to recognise and deal with it better that situations I had been in in the past.

The dogs did "grieve" but it seemed easier for them to accept their pack mate and friend was "gone".

I also know of others who compassionate vets have allowed to be present at the Clinic when the time came.. and they too went through seemingly easier transitions too.

I know you have said you do well with your vet..and it may well be a good idea to broach this subject now... while all is well and not terribly sad and emotive. A bit along the lines of a "Living Will" for humans. Do things whilest you are clear headed and not under pressure. When the time comes.. as sadly it will... then it DOES make it easier for all.

So.. long winded answer.. but my personal opinion is if you can do that... do it... just my feelings...having had to do ot both ways... I have no doubts for me and mine in the future.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 5:42pm PST 
I too have had more than one occasion when a pet had to helped across the bridge and as Flika said,they do seem to accept and adjust much better if they are allowed to sniff and know that their companion is now gone than they do if the companion just leaves and never comes back,so if at all possible talk to your vet and make the plan that should it be necessary for one to cross the bridge,the other be able to be there either at home or at the vet. Home with the people they love in familiar surroundings is the gentlest and easiest way when it is necessary but I know that is not always possible,so the next best is surrounded by those they love and comforted as much as possible at the vet and that includes their fur family members too.
[notify]