GO!

How do you know when it's ok to let yourself let go?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Gypsy

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:12am PST 
Last night my mom's dog Rocky had to be put to sleep. He stopped eating and was diagnosed with stomach cancer about 3 weeks ago. They prescribed appetite stimulants and calorie paste, which sort of worked for about a week, but then he stopped eating again and lost a ton of weight in such a short time. Yesterday morning when my mom went to give him his meds, he tried to bite her. He was in such rough shape that they made the decision to have a vet come to the house that night and end his pain. It was the first time I've had to see it happen, because our last dog (who we also lost to cancer) passed on her own while I wasn't home. In a way, I'm glad that it happened on our terms so to speak, because we were all able to be there and tell him goodbye and send him off on his journey knowing that he was loved and will always be remembered. He got to lay down in his favorite spot on the bed and be comfortable in his last moments with us. It was really hard because he was up and walking around when the vet got there, and I just kept looking at him thinking that those were his last minutes of life. It was horrible to think that we were about to take it away from him. The vet assured us that she agreed it was the right thing to do at that time, and she always tells people if she thinks it's too soon, so I know we did the right thing. But obviously that doesn't stop the grief from coming on at the thought of never seeing your pet again. I keep on seeing him as he was, after he fell asleep (she gave him a first injection that made him fall asleep so he wouldn't have to be held down for the final injection) and he just looked so comfortable and peaceful for the first time in a while. Anyways, whenever I'm able to stop thinking about it and carry on with my day, I think that I'm being selfish by not thinking about him. I feel like I shouldn't carry on with anything else because it isn't right to just move on from it. I know he is at peace and I'm relieved that he isn't suffering anymore, I just can't shake this feeling that I should constantly be thinking about him. Did anyone else ever have this feeling, and what did you do about it?
[notify]
Xena- (1999-2012)

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 3:10pm PST 
I am so sorry for your loss.

I know how you feel. I was a coward when it came to putting our dog to sleep on December 4; my husband had to make the decision. I hope and pray every day that she doesn't think that we gave up on her cry
[notify]