GO!

Not a dog, but I feel I need some kind of grief support

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 10:13pm PST 
Over the weekend, while I was at my sisters, my AC in my room broke. Sadly, that AC is what keeps my room at a steady temperature for my rodents so they don't overheat. My mother didn't know what to do and I wasn't there to help her figure it out. She put some fans in the room, but it wasn't enough. The room got to a temp well above 75F. When I got home, I found my hamster, Buttercup, in bad shape. She had had a heat stroke. I did everything I could and for a while, she seemed to be better. However, she began to get worse during the night. Right before I was about to take her to the vet (after spending hours trying to find a 24 hour vet that would even see rodents), she passed away. We believe it was kidney failure from dehydration. I know she isn't a dog, but I don't know where else to go and I'm hurting. The way she left was terrible. I feel horrible about it all. I feel guilty. My mom does, too, and I don't know how to let her know it wasn't her fault because I'm just not able to think straight. RIP sweet Buttercup. cry

Edited by author Tue Jul 10, '12 10:14pm PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 10:29pm PST 
I know what you're going through, when I was a kid, I had two rabbits die of heatstroke. It can happen very quickly and their health will go downhill so fast that even if you realize what's happening, it can be iffy if they'll survive. Especially the tiny pets such as your hamster...hug

A few years ago, my rabbit FooFoo came very close to dying from heat exhaustion, it was touch and go for awhile, but thankfully she pulled through. She was fortunate.

hug hug
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 10:37pm PST 
Aw, I'm sorry you lost Buttercup. Any animal can create a home in our hearts and leave an emptiness when they go.
hug
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 11:38pm PST 
hug So sorry for your loss. I don't think it matters what type of pet you have when you form a bond and lose them you feel pain and grief. Please do not blame yourself,unfortunately,accidents and other bad circumstances happen,no one can control everything in even in their own little world.

little angelrainbow "May you run free,Buttercup" rainbowlittle angel

I'm sure Buttercup knew you loved her and she is now free and happy with lots of new pals across the Rainbow Bridge and I'm sure she knows she was loved and is watching over you and wants you to be free of guilt and find happiness again.hugwishes to you.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 2:10am PST 
i had rodents my half life and i had much grief if they passe,my garden was arodent semetary
fly free
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 7:49am PST 
So sorry for your loss.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 9:17am PST 
I'm so sorry Buttercup had to go. I once had a cat named Buttercup. Just know that you gave her the best life she had when she was with you.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 10:04am PST 
A friend is a friend. RIP Buttercup little angel hug's to you in comfort.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 11:32am PST 
Just because they are rodents, doesn't mean they aren't family members. Any animal can become part of any family, which means, they become an important member. When you lose one, It is heart wrenching. Just know that sometimes, even if you do everything right, things can go very wrong. Don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. I'm sure she had a great life with you, and you should be glad of that. I'm really sorry she passed. Maybe she's hopping around with her dogster friends over rainbow bridge having lots of fun. That's all we can hope for.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 11:42am PST 
The heat can be really dangerous to such small pets. I'm so glad that my gerbils are okay and seemed to not even notice the difference. Gerbils are very strong, hearty creatures. I just wish that Buttercup could have survived it, too. That's true. Sometimes, things just happen. She may have been a tiny little hamster, but I loved her just as much as I love my dogs and my cat. Wherever she is, at least I know she has Cinnamon there to look out for her. Cinnamon always was gentle with even the littlest of animals.

Thanks for all your replies. I feel like most people would not understand because to non-pet people, she would be "just a hamster". That's a mentality I see a lot around here. But I felt sure that the people here would. For, dog people almost always understand how it feels to lose any pet.

I threw a blanket over her tank last night. I just couldn't look at an empty tank. frown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2