GO!

did you get to hold them?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 2:08pm PST 
Did you get to hold your pet when the vet put them to sleep? Everything I read said people got to hold their pets during their final moments. People we've spoken to have said they got to hold their pets during their final moments. But we didn't get to hold Starr, in fact they didn't even ask us if we wanted to hold her. Then everything just happened so fast and she was gone.

Edited by author Wed Feb 15, '12 2:10pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:32pm PST 
I've never had to put down an animal but I know when the vets told me Jake might have to be put down they were going to let me be in the room and have some time with him. Thankfully he responded so well to the emergency antibiotics and got better and his pain lessened.

When my mother help our old female cat "Hunter" to the bridge rainbow. She was a 19. something year old stay we had since she was a baby. She even survived our move from the city to the suburbs but was always an outdoor semi-feral cat. When it was time to let her go, being she was nearly blind, deaf or close too it, had poor bladder control and oral cancer and growths starting to mass. My mom took her and held her in her arms till they let her go. But our vet is kind. He even let us take the body some to bury with our other cats. Something that's illegal in our state. But they knew us for so long they let my mom bring her back home to us and she is buried with all our other cats whom have gone over the years.

So my mom got to hold our cat but when they vets gave me my options they were not going to let me hold jake as he went away had i chosen that option.

Maybe its a size thing or it depends on the vet's office. Since I have a coworker who's cat she put down and wasn't even allowed to see it. She had to sit in the empty room while they put her cat to sleep in the back of the office.

I'm very sorry for your loss. hughugrainbow
[notify]
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:58pm PST 
Thank you, and thanks for sharing.

We got a few minutes alone with her after they sedated her (it is standard practice to sedate animals before they put them to sleep), then after it was we got to spend time with her after she was gone.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 5:41pm PST 
We were lucky,we did get to stay for those last precious moments with our last two and plan to do it as well should there ever be the need with our sweet furkids. It was very difficult,and I know that some vets feel that the owners being upset will make it more difficult for the dog,and panic some owners right to the end. My sister had a vet come to her home and she laid beside hers as they crossed the bridge.
I couldn't imagine how I would have felt had I not been able to be there with my furkids in my arms and my voice in their ear. I'm sorry that the vet denied you that opportunity,but happy that they did give you the chance to say good-bye.
[notify]
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 6:26pm PST 
Starr hated the vet and probably would have paniced if she wasn't sedated since they just sort of snatched her up and put her on the table.

shrug

I'm just glad we got to be there with her in the end even though we didn't get to hold her.

Edited by author Wed Feb 15, '12 6:35pm PST

[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 5:36am PST 
in the netherlands we get the choice from the vet.
can you handle it or not!
my bullie passed away at home due to a heart attack,so when we got to our vet he was all ready gone...
we were put in a special mourning room,where they put your beloved and there you can cry and hold him or her and do anything you need..the vet is even there if you need him for questions and you are given all the time you need.
and when misty passed the vet came at my home...,she was all ready in a coma,so she was sleeping,but the procedure was done at home,in her own dogbed.
with family around her.
lotus passed this 11th and she passed in my arms.
it's normal in my country that we have that choice to stay with ur beloved or not.
and i think it's a dying shame if vets don't give owners that option.
SHAME ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!naughty
[notify]
Jaxson

Ta Da!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:58pm PST 
On Valentine's day my Mom's pug, same age as Jax, had to be euthanized expectantly,I decided that because my Mom was unable to I would stay there with him, I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him, in is final moments I kissed his Head. I am still struggling with this. I did it for love, he trusted me!! My Mom came in after and spent some time with him. Hardest thing ever!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 9:07am PST 
It is very,very difficult,but for us we had to be there.After all they had given us we couldn't not be there for them when they needed us. As difficult as it was for you,thank-you for giving Jax the selfless gift of knowing he was loved and comfortable to the end.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 9:35am PST 
No... and you cannot imagine the feelings we have....cry
[notify]
Pua'ena-Rest- In Peace

Vive la Bay- Area!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 3:04pm PST 
I am so very sorry for your loss. When my Pua'ena was rapidly declining and having neurological problems (agitation, seizures, shakes), I took her in to the Emergency Vet at 4 a.m. The vet said that immediate euthanasia was the best option as Pua'ena would only get worse if I treated her or took her home. I was in shock. Everyone at that office was so compassionate and patient, and ended up giving me 11 hours to stay with Pua'ena to make phone calls, cradle her suffering body, talk to her, weep on her fur, and finally, to make the decision. 11 hours...and they did give me the option to stay with her during the injection, and I definitely was going to be there during Pua'ena's final moments on earth. She was a pound dog so she always had separation anxiety...and she had always been by my side ever since I adopted her...so it made sense, although it was probably the MOST painful and saddest thing I've ever done. I'm glad I was there for her, and my voice and touch were the last things she remembered.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2