GO!

For people who have old dogs...

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:51am PST 
My dog died just less then a week ago. He was 14 years old and I believed he had quality of life even though, he was becoming incontinent and found it hard to see/hear. He scrounged for food, he jumped up at you in excitement, and definitely still had the terrier in him! (hated the postman etc).

One morning I woke up to my horror to see that he could not move his blacklegs, he was struggling to breathe and his tongue was dark blue (lack of oxygen). He was clearly in pain and I can tell you now that I have never made an easier decision. I couldn't bare to see him like this. It was by far one of the most traumatizing things I have seen.

When you have loved something for so long, and you see them in pain, the only humane thing to do is end their suffering. You can pretend to think that it will get better or it could be operated on but think about it...Do you really want to put an old dog through the stress of an operation when it would probably only preserve them for a bit longer?

I've read a few "don't know if it's time" threads and I can honestly say that when you get that feeling, you will know it's time. I love my dog more then anything and it's about putting your best friends interest ahead of that selfish need to keep him alive for your own sake.

Hope this helps
and I can honestly say, it gets easier. It's been a week now and I'm in many ways relieved that he can no longer suffer. Photos + blankets etc all help the grieving!
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 3:28am PST 
well i think you are right.
when you have your companion for many many years...you just know when it's time.
i knew it when my misty was in her last days...
i knew we would say goodbey soon and i made our moments count as much as i could and when i look back at it,i think we had a good goodbey...
i miss her,i grief ,but i am at peace with her passing...
she needed the rest..
fly free mistycry
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 5:34pm PST 
I knew Freeway was dying. The vet had cautioned me about prolonging the inevitable. In his words "honey heart failure doesn't get better". The last night she was with me I lifted her onto the bed and she crawled up and laid her head on my chest and looked at me. I knew. It was right there in her eyes. My heart still aches, 12 years later. I cried,I pleaded with God, I cursed fate but the decision itself was easy. It was the doing it that hurt so bad I wanted to die. In the end I honored her love by respecting her needs. But not one day passes when I don't wish she was still here. I keep the box with her ashes by my bed. I see a Great Dane and I cry, and now I laugh a little. She never got to be old. She was six weeks shy of her seventh birthday.
[notify]