GO!

RIP Duncan, 1995-2012

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 9:42pm PST 
* Surrounded by my compassionate co-workers at the vet office, I held Duncan as he was euthanized on January 2, 2012. Since he's not here to "write" this post, I decided to write a letter to him...

"Duncan, you taught me so much. You were my first dog, and I had everything to learn. The fates blessed me to find you, a wise old soul even then as a puppy of 8 weeks, and I could not have had a better teacher.

You taught me what it means to have a dog: that incomparable, incorruptible bond that I had not known possible. You taught me what dogs need and all they are willing to give in return. You taught me, yes, about animal shelters and the worlds connected therein -- an education which began, crystalline, with my wide eyed question to the good ol' boy running the rural Virginia shelter where I found you that day: 'But why? Why are these puppies here in this shelter?'

With you, Duncan, I learned what it takes to raise and train a puppy. Wow, it was a hard lesson. And I am sure I made many mistakes. But you were so forgiving.

Not only did you forgive, but in spite of my bumbling, you came into your own as a great dog. Easy-going, happy, friendly, plucky, never moody, issue-free. Our life together, for our many good years, was a celebration, our glory days were truly glorious. So many hikes and walks, exploring sandy canyons and mountain woodlands, with you joyfully slurping at the streams and creeks. Back in town, you'd accompany me to social visits with friends, and to sidewalk cafes. And you even came to work with me at some of my jobs. In fact I think you were convinced that I only worked so that I could bring you to your daily dog party of sniffing sagebrush, meeting new humans and dogs, romping around and enjoying the weather - no matter if it was sunny and hot, or wind or snow. Oh, and the fostering started up too - you didn't mind that a bit, either. You never met a dog you didn't like. In your older years, you got a little impatient with puppies, but you were a good communicator and teacher for them, too. The fosters came and went from our house and you were a kind host and friend to them all.

I remember fondly, too, our partnership in providing Pet Assisted Therapy. I felt so proud of you and your amazing instincts, as you were bringing comfort to the lonely elderly in nursing homes, and cheer to sick children in the hospital and their worried, exhausted families. You so loved your 'job,' too. You were a dog who liked a lot of attention and affection. Come to think of it, you never met a human you didn't like, either.

In your final years, in your passing, you had lessons to teach me still. About death and dignity and mercy. Perhaps, I fear, I waited too long while you merely survived without truly living. Allowed for days, weeks and months to pass as you lingered, declined, withered. All this for the wrong reasons; not for your sake (though I may have told myself otherwise, sometimes), and not because I was too attached to let go. Because I was afraid. Afraid of death itself, and of taking that ultimate responsibility.

I hope that you can forgive me this one last time. I hope you are now back in those aspen woods, your eyes clear, your nose keen, and that you will remember all the full and happy days together. Those are the ones that I will remember and think on, too. Though I will remember all your lessons, and try to do my best with my life and my other dogs now and in the future.

And Duncan....you will always be my puppy."

rainbow

Edited by author Fri Jan 13, '12 9:50pm PST

"Gunner" Da- Big Boy- Angel

Da Big Boy- Rules, I AM the- Big Boy!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 10:20pm PST 
What a beautifully heartfelt memorial, Duncan is howling from heaven just knowing how much you truly love him. He is blessed to have you for his mom.
I feel the same way when I think of my Big Boy Gunner and Kayak The Mighty Moose Hunter, they both were a wonderful blessings in my life, I think about them every day and say hello to them every night when I see the stars in the sky (and even on cloudy nights).
So, that being said, there is a super, bright new star in heaven tonight, I will say hello to Duncan tonight when I take my fur-kids out for an evening outing.
Bless you and your heart full of memories of Duncan.

little angel
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:14pm PST 
hughugI am so sorry for you. Duncan was truly blessed when he rescued you. He will be truly missed. Run free Duncan..look for Ryko..he'll keep you company as you watch us over on this side of the bridgerainbow
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:17pm PST 
I am so, so sorry. hughug
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:50pm PST 
Good night Duncan. His little paws left a mighty impression on his human.

Rest in peace.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:02am PST 
So sorry for your loss.rainbowlittle angel Rest in Peace Duncanlittle angelrainbow

big hug for your Mommy. You are both in our thoughts and prayers. We will be here anytime you need us.

Mika,Kai&Mommy Pam
[notify]
Angel Annie

Love my treats,- oh yeah!

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:13am PST 
Beautiful words! Fly free Angel Duncan. little angel
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 10:18am PST 
Awwwww, hug

I can tell from Duncan's photo that he was a sweet, sweet dog...
Words cannot express how we feel sometimes, but I am sure Duncan knew 110% how much he was loved....

And the best you can do is to honor him bt continuing to love and care for his fellow canine counterparts that came across your existence the best you can and the best you know how....

little angel
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 11:25am PST 
Sobbing as I read this beautiful tribute. You were so lucky to have each other.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 2:58pm PST 
Tears flowing...crycry RIP Sweet Boy Duncan...little angellittle angel You were so special in so many ways....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4