GO!

How do I get over this loss? Advice please? I feel like I never will - Rest in Peace Maggie

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

Little Ms.- Sunshie -

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:11pm PST 
My family and I had to make the hard decision of putting our 14 year old lab retriever mix, Maggie, down yesterday. She had been throwing up vile all day Sunday. Monday she looked better, but we noticed that her stomach was bloated which we figured wasn't good. We took her to the vet and he said it's either one of two things: a tumor that ruptured and is causing blood to fill up in the stomach or two, her liver had failed and her stomach was filling with fluid. We also noticed she was having labored breathing because her stomach was pushing against her lungs. The vet said she would ultimately suffocate and she only had a few hours to maybe a day or two left. We decided to put her down seeing that suffocation is an awful way to go....She didn't look like she was in a lot of pain. She just looked up at us like, "When are we going home?" But her signs and symptoms said otherwise. She was a trooper and was so strong. She always kept an upbeat spirit even when she would have her seizures and was having trouble with the infection on her leg.

I miss her so much and I cried all day yesterday. I've already cried once more today. My house just isn't the same. I don't know how to get over this loss. She was my baby. She was always so happy and loving. She was 14 years old, but acted like she was 2. She was so energetic and happy all the time no matter what. Whenever any of us come home she's always there jumping around and wagging her tail. We all miss her so much. I don't know how long this feeling will last. How do you get over such a loss? Any suggestions? I don't ever want to forget her. I miss her so much....
Thank you,
-Katie cry
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:43pm PST 
hug's to you in the loss of Maggie. You made the right choice and did not let Maggie suffer. I'm sure Turner met her at the bridge and is showing her the ropes. Think of all of the fun you shared with Maggie - it helps... hughug
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 5:27pm PST 
you will never fotget her, she will always hold a special place in your heart. you dont ever get over it, you get used to it.cry when you need to. dont let anybody tell you not to.

it will get easier.and dont think getting another pup, when you are ready, is replacing her. I`m sure it would make her happy to know you are not alone. and there is another lucky pup getting the wonderful life she had.
nothing helps heal a heart like puppy breath does

angel feather kisses to you. rainbow
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 10:03pm PST 
Maggie,
So sorry for your loss.hughughug I agree with the other posters,you never really get over it but you learn to live with it. You did the right thing in not letting her suffer,let that help ease your pain. Grieve as long,hard and in any way you need to and don't let anyone tell you different. We here at Dogster will be here for you when you need us. Take Care of yourself and it's okay to feel the way you do,it's all part of the process.hughug
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:17am PST 
i lost my misty on the 5th of november....
and i feel just like you do...
there is no time for the grief....
some get over the really bad grief sooner than others...
i'm a person that needs a lot of time and i will never really GET over my furs that pass over...
in time it gets a place,but the scar stays forever.
there are no words that will make everything better...
i just sit and wait,day after day ...taking it a day at a time.
one day i feel rather good,the other i feel so depressed,as if i wanna join misty.
i will keep you in my heart and prayers and remember...here on dogster you can find many friends to talk toabout youre loss.
hughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:32am PST 
A wee poem fur you....

"' I have sent you on a journey, not because I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force you to stay ""

May Maggie's journey find her peace and sound body.....xoxo

hughug
[notify]
Princess- Baby Girl~In- Memory

What can I do- for you?

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 5:54am PST 
First let me join the others who have posted in offering my deepest sympathies on the loss of a dear friend and family member. For the first 2 years after I lost my beautiful Princess I thought I could not go on. While I had been blessed with several other furbabies she was my once in a lifetime companion who meant the world to me. It has been over 4-1/2 years now and I still have trouble at times. Everyone mourns in their own way and for their own period of time. I spent many Mondays at the candlelight ceremony on petloss and posted a memorial for Princess on critters (both of those are dot coms). It was there that I met a truly lifesaving group of people who completely understood how devastated I was. There was no judging, no "it was JUST a dog" comments just loving support. Everyone of these people had lost a love of their own and knew how hard it was. So many of us do not have friends or family who understand just what it means to lose a companion animal. I feel truly sorry for those people as they also never knew what it was like to be so loved by another soul. If you would like to post your own memorial on critters (it is free for a limited time or just a small fee forever.) If you do, Princess is the beautiful golden at the top of the right hand column. Make a guest book entry and I will answer and let others know you need their support. I wish you peace and joy in the coming months. It will not be easy I know but you also must know that the love Maggie gave you will always be with you.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 6:46am PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. cryhug Advice...i think the posts here are wonderful. I think talking about it helps. Sometimes others don't understand, but you will never find that here. We are here for you. Time will help, but Maggie will always have a very special place in your heart hughughughughughug
[notify]
Angel Annie

Love my treats,- oh yeah!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:02am PST 
hug to you on the loss of your beautiful sweetheart Maggie. My heart breaks for you. You will need to grieve in your own way, no matter how long it takes. We are all here to help you through it. You can paw mail me anytime.

When we lost our beloved Golden, Rusty, in a similar manner to your situation, I didn't know how I was going to make it. The house was so empty and it was so depressing. I found a Golden rescue site and just looked around. I saw so many wonderful Goldens that needed a home that I just couldn't resist. My husband and I went to the adoption day and found our sweet, precious Annie that we have now. We will never forget Rusty, he will always be in our hearts, but Annie has brought so much joy back in our lives.

I'm not saying that you need to go out and get another dog until or unless your are ready. But, just letting you know how we coped with our situation.
[notify]
Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 11:50am PST 
hughug I am so sorry for your loss of Maggie. rainbow

When we had to put Lucky down I felt very similar to the way you felt. The right decisions are often the hardest; the hardest to make and the hardest to eventually accept/overcome. You did was what best for Maggie in life and even in her last moments.

The house was so empty, I felt very anxious all the time because Lucky had always been my protector. I was lonely. I was already going through a hard time and then to lose my best friend? The one I could always count on...

I myself needed dogs, so I volunteered more and spent a lot of time with my friend's dogs. And eventually a couple months later I convinced my parents to adopt a dog. Just like Annie, I'm not saying to go out and get a dog before you're ready, but Lenny was the best thing that has ever happened to me. He came to me when I needed him most. And slowly but surely dragged me out of the darkness.

I also found a lot of comfort in poetry (reading & writing it). Overtime I found myself able to remember the better times, the memories of days spent in muddy creeks and making my mom horribly angry with the both of us when we tracked it all inside. I found myself less consumed by my sadness for her loss, but my joy of the memory of her life. We all grieve at our pace, we all grieve in different ways. We don't 'get over' a loss...but we come to accept it. We come to a point when it is no longer just about our sadness, but remembering and celebrating the time we had. I'll always miss Lucky. I will never forget her and I'll never stop loving her. Just as you will with Maggie. Give yourself time.

We are all stronger than we think we are. Our hearts, especially those who have known the pure love of a dog, find ways to mend and slowly put themselves back together, even if like a broken vase, it isn't quite the same as it was before. hugrainbow
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2