GO!

how do we prepare?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 8:49pm PST 
Kathryn&Kasey,
I lost my Mattie nearly 5 years ago and have always wished for just one more day. Letting go as you said "When they are holding on for you" is the greatest act of love we can give them for all they give to us. Sabi,the only advice I can give is live each day like it is her last,then you can let go Knowing she had the best life she could and you can let go with no regrets of if only I had... You will have. hughughug
Pam
[notify]
Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 10:41pm PST 
Our shepherd was slowing down, she was losing her hearing and we suspected sight. She was on meds for her immune disorder, her hips were beginning to give on her with some days being worse than others.

We knew that day would be coming. I woke up every day wondering when she'd let us know. Sure she was slowing down, but she still had a crazy appetite and still went on walks and liked to try and chase the squirrels. She slept a lot, but what older being doesn't? I thought I was prepared. I told myself time and time again, that we just didn't have that much time left. I knew everyday was a blessing. I read books on grief, and joined a forum. I wrote poems, and tried to just enjoy my life with her. If she wanted to rest we took it easy, if she seemed up to it we went for walks. And lots of extra treats. I foolishly thought I was prepared, she was "Old, and had lived a good life, right?" and thought knowing those things would somehow ease my suffering.

But when I got a text from my mom telling me to come straight home from school...I somehow knew why. I felt this huge rock in my stomach and my heart sank. I drove home slower than usual, an awkward silence in the car. Tears began to well before I even got home. When we got her into the car, no on spoke. I held back tears as my mind raced...her last ride in the car. The last time I'd walk her through those double doors. The last time I'd touch her... the last time she'd ever look at me and me at her in such a way that I swore she knew what I was thinking.

A part of me died with her...and as much as you can prepare and think you're ready and know it's the right thing to do... it doesn't matter. You cannot prepare for the loss of your best friend. I think some preparation of knowing what to expect and dealing with the reality of it can be somewhat helpful...but in the end like everyone else has said, you can't.

A part of me died that day, although she'll forever live within my heart.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 5:23am PST 
frown...you just can't....just love fur the moment...fur the hour...and don't mourn until it is time....just enjoy and love your time....as my motto says.......always hug your puppy....

hughug
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 9:03am PST 
Lucky,
So sorry for your loss. I think you expressed very clearly exactly how it feels at the end. Even when you understand and accept that it's the best option and all the other rational stuff,you aren't prepared,ready,or able to deal with the moment. It HURTS !! No ammount of reading ,research,or logic can change the way the heart feels.

River,
"hug your pup" is great advice. The opportunity to have such wonderful creatures in our lives is a blessing everyday they are with us.Enjoying each day and remembering to Hug them always leaves us with far less to regret no matter what the day may bring.
[notify]
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 12:12am PST 
Hi Sabi:
I don't think so. All the preparation in the world can't prepare us when we lose someone we love and this includes our fur babies.

I've been where you're at Sabi and I know how hard it is to look at them without crying. I've struggled many, many times with this over the years and it never gets any easier.

I think the only thing we can do to prepare is to except it and that's hard.

Janie
www.YourOldDog.com
www.YourOldDog.net
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 5:27am PST 
Very impressive thread here, I've read it five times and still confused about some points discussed here but nice work and waiting for more reply's you will post here because its very informative.
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 5:29pm PST 
Kc is 8 and on a seniordiet. The only thing that has happened that shows she has aged : It takes her 2-3 trys to jump on the couch; her hair is greying.
You cant prepare; just enjoy.♥
[notify]
Merlin (In- loving- memory)

Isnt it- breakfast/- lunch/dinner- time yet

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:08am PST 
One can never prepare for the loss of a best, loyal and devoted friend. Enjoy the time you have with her, cuddle her as much as possible, tell her you love her over and over again.

Merlin's Daddy
[notify]
Merlin (In- loving- memory)

Isnt it- breakfast/- lunch/dinner- time yet

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:08am PST 
One can never prepare for the loss of a best, loyal and devoted friend. Enjoy the time you have with her, cuddle her as much as possible, tell her you love her over and over again.

Merlin's Daddy
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3