GO!

put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  
Jake

Don't worry,- I'll protect- you!!

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:09pm PST 
I'm looking for some advice/input/support from other dogster members who've maybe been down the same road...

Today Jake attacked someone. Completely unprovoked. The man's shorts were ripped and he had 2 bites on his thigh. This isn't the first time Jake has bitten someone. But it is the worst.

I got Jake when he was 6 months old. He'd been abused, and has always had "issues". Jake is a good dog. Always wagging his tail, always excited and always eager to please. But his other side... is out of control and unpredictable.

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I have no other choice but to put him to sleep, for my sake, for his sake, and for the sake of other people. His behaviour issues or not so much an everyday occurance but rather random, unpredictable outbursts. One minute he's fine, the next he's not. With one stranger he's fine, the next he wants to eat. I feel like, as much as I hate to say it... he's a ticking time bomb. I don't know when and with who but he's going to really hurt someone one day... he already has hurt people.

I love my dog, and I've been crying all day about this. I don't want to let him go... but I don't know what else to do. I can only protect him from so much... I can't save him from himself. I already take so many precautions, and he already lives on such a short leash ( no pun intended)... I can't just keep him indoors and locked in a room away from any human contact... but it seems I can't trust him with anyone because he's so unpredictable.

I won't take Jake to the Humane Society.... because I know he will not make it out. He is already 6 and with his history of aggression no one will take him. And I feel like even if someone did.... he will still be this way... and he can still hurt someone... it will just be someone else dealing with it all, and I don't want that.

Everyone I talk to either says putting him to sleep is the right thing to do, even though it's hard... or that it's NOT the right thing and that I need to try harder/more etc.

I don't know what to do. frown
[notify]
Sammy- ♥ - KABX

Got Balls?

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:31pm PST 
How did he bite the man? Sounds like he should be on a leash at all times. If you know he is aggressive, why let him off? Sounds like he is wonderful with you and so why would you put him to sleep?? My dog Jeb is not good with children (will bark, bite, run after) but I know this and I don't let him off the leash when children are present. Sammy on the other hand loves everything and is free to be off leash in restricted areas (no cars or other dangers). I mean, do you have a yard that he can play in?? Why do you say you would have to keep him locked in a room? I guess I just don't quite understand. It doesn't sound like he has done anything to deserve being put down.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:50pm PST 
I agree with Sammy...

I am a herder, and will get people's feet if they move. Mommy and Daddy know this, and don't let me around people unless I'm on a leash.

Is the man pressing charges against you? If not, you are lucky... and it is your chance to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I think you are a very loved dog, and have a history that can be changed. Being a border collie mix, you have herding issues, too. Was the man running by, by chance? I hate that... but I'm not allowed out without a leash...

Your other option is muzzle. Only when you are out... for your safety and for other's.

Edited by author Thu Aug 3, '06 3:21pm PST

Jake

Don't worry,- I'll protect- you!!

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:55pm PST 
I am hardly able to bring Jake anywhere, because of how he is around strange people. When I do bring him out, I stay the hell away from other people because Jake is more aggressive on a leash than anywhere else. When this happened I was at a family members cottage and there was no one around that Jake hadn't met. I was just putting the dogs into the car when another man got out of his car at a cottage up the way and Jake took off. It was my fault I suppose for not having him leashed. But I guess I figured in the middle of the woods we'd be alright. Apparently not.
Please understand that I am a responsible dog owner and knowing Jake's issues i am VERY careful with him. But I feel like I spend SO much energy protecting him that I can't do anything else. I can't have people over, I can't bring him anywhere. I'm just so torn because as much as I've tried to socialize him, he's wonderful with some people and then wants to kill others.
I just don't know what a life it is for Jake to always be on a 4 foot leash and not be allowed to go places. But taking him places and having people over etc only puts people ar risk. I know it sounds HORRIBLE to say, but Jake is almost a liability at times.
frown
[notify]
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 3:01pm PST 
Putting him down is not the answer. I rescued a dog that had been abused and had the same problem. We tend to relate dog behavior to human behavior. When in fact dogs do things for particular reasons that we can't understand. I took the dog I rescued to training classes. My exwife has her now and she is a completly different dog. Your dog needs work thats all! And it's not as hard as you think. I can't explain how to train on a thread because you'll have to start at the beginning, but rest assure when your done your dog he will be right as rain. The cost for me with 2 dogs was about $3oo.oo. Give it some thought.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 3:01pm PST 
Sweetie, it sounds like you have made your decission... and if he is THAT aggressive, then maybe you are right.

Dogs like that can take a lot of time and energy...

Have you contacted any trainer or behaviorists? He is so handsome, and I know you don't really want to do this to him...

Yes, they can be a liability. Financially as well as emotionally. It is a huge decission. I don't envy you at all.

My Sammy wouldn't have been that agressive. He would have barked his fool head off, but not run after him unless he was on our property. And even then, would have bitten his heels not leg.

No matter your decission, you have given him a chance he would not otherwise have had.
Sammy- ♥ - KABX

Got Balls?

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 3:18pm PST 
What about a muzzle? Or isn't there another thing that isn't as harsh as a muzzle that fits right over the dogs mouth? I mean it just seems unfair to put him down. It sounds like he just needs alot of work and love. If you aren't willing to give it to him, maybe you could ask around and find a rescuer who would? In your pictures it looks like you have a nice backyard. Could you not just put him out when you have people over? Or leave him in one room of the house while people are over?? It is never too late to teach an old dog new trickssmile
[notify]
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 3:57pm PST 
It does sound like he's a pretty aggressive guy if he attacked the man unprovoked. And I understand why you're feeling so desperate - it sounds like you feelthat you can't trust him, no matter what the situation, because you don't know what sets him off.

Is there anything that his bursts of aggression seem to have in common?

Have you tried a trainer or behaviorist yet?

I think if he were my dog, I'd contact a trainer or behaviorist today - maybe your vet could recommend one. I'd have to at least give that a try. They may agree that it's best to put him down, but I'd want to try to understand what was going on first. Sometimes aggressive dogs can be helped.

I also understand what you mean when you say he feels like a liability. He is a liability at this point, and I think I'd keep him restrained/contained until I could figure out what's going on & what's best for him & for you. I agree that you have to do something - you can't go on this way any more.
[notify]
Dante

Cuddling,- walking, food,- it's all good.

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 4:31pm PST 
Sigh, my She knows this one. A dog she had as when she was young, wa great 97% of the time, the other 3 %, there were no gaurantees. He bit kids, mailman (leaping thru a glass door to get him), old people. No rymthe or reason, no pattern. He was too big to ignore the problem, that final decision made her sad for years.
[notify]
Bandit,In- Loving- Memory

Woof Woof

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 4:49pm PST 
He has leash agression. Bandit used to do that. He was protecting me. And when a dog is on a leash, they feel "trapped" which makes them more agressive. Get him into training with a dog behaviorist. Don't put him down. He doesn't do it on purpose.
I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Karrie
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15