GO!

westie skin

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 3:23am PST 
Hi can anyone help l have a 1year old westie and have notice her skin is black were most westie's have pink skin the vet told me she could have some sort of skin complaint has any one else heard of thisblue dog

Edited by author Fri Jun 21, '13 3:24am PST

[notify]
Riley

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 9:08pm PST 
My Westie has pinkish skin now, but when I first adopted him at 10 months old, his skin was black. Over the past 2 years, his skin gradually became pink. To my knowledge, the skin color isn't due to any skin problem, it's just not very common. Me Westie also has a few black nails, which surprises some people and causes them to incorrectly assume that something is wrong.

I would think that if your dog's skin isn't irritated at all, it is probably nothing. Of course, I am not a vet, so you may want to get a second opinion from another vet. Good luck! kitty
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 3:56pm PST 
I've been told by my vet that the black skin can be indicative of a skin complaint. My 6 year old Westie has patches of black all over his skin where his fur is particularly greasy and he is extremely itchy. Having been diagnosed with atopical dermatitis I now use allermyl shampoo on him which sadly seems to be losing its effect. It seems near on impossible to get a straight answer about their skin - I'm now a good £4000 into investigations with dermatologists... Thank heavens for insurance! I'd give my last penny though for him not to be so itchy :0(
[notify]