GO!

Great Tip for Westie Skin Problems

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hugo

I'm a true foody

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:35pm PST 
Westies are notorious for their skin issues, but we should also never just write off conditions as a typical Westie skin issue. Proper care and consideration for each condition should be properly investigated with your vet.

My dog Hugo scratches a lot, and licks his paws quite a bit. He also gets purple rashes under his arms - especially in the summer. The vet told us these rashes were due to the grass and he then prescribed medicine, which had very little effect.

I got a great tip from another dog owner, and this was to simply add a teaspoon of olive oil in his food each day.

Well it's been almost a month now, and I'm happy to say that the rashes have gone. Additionally, his coat is much smoother again (he had an amazingly smooth coat when he was a pup) and in addition, the typical dog smell from his coat has reduced, and he's even scratching less.

I'm very happy so thought I would share with the fellow Westie community. applause
[notify]
Busby

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 11:09am PST 
Thankfully my dogs are fine in that respect, but my mum has a terrier and every summer about now with us she gets a rash and is itchy, I am going tell my mum about the olive oil, it cant do her any harm anyway. It would be great if it worked. Will let you know how things go. xx
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 9:40am PST 
DOGs manifest their Allergy via Skin & Ear Issues.

85% of Itchy DOGs = Allergy to Pollens, Dust Mites & Molds.

Frequent Shampoo'ing helps .. but only temporary

To address Itchy Skin & Gunky Ears you must address / treat / Neutralize the Source of Allergy
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 2:47pm PST 
I've just ordered some generic Piriton antihistamine pills and evening primrose oil to try a treatment someone reported as successful.
Our westie's nearly eight now, and didn't really get this skin problem till a year or so ago. That's about when it started. It manifests itself as lesions and flaking skin all the way along his back. He is also prone to ear infections.
He gets his ears cleaned at least weekly and is bathed regularly with a shampoo containing olive oil, tea tree oil, and cedar wood oil, plus he gets a daily dose of cod liver oil in his food.
He also recently developed swelling of the anal scent gland, and bilious vomiting syndrome.
The vet recommended he be neutered, and I finally caved in and betrayed my small friend by permitting that to be done. It fixed only the scent gland problem.
I seem to have solved his stomach problem by adjusting his diet to wet food only, and I mix that up myself. A recipe or two can be supplied on request. Plus he gets a very small daily dose of the generic gastric acid reducer famotidine, but I may cut that out soon to test whether the adjusted diet alone is enough.
Now I'll work on the skin issue as described, and update here when I know the results.
I should mention that bathing with the naturally medicated shampoo does help keep the skin problem under control, but there's room for improvement.
Meanwhile, he does not scratch and nibble at himself or appear to be suffering a lot with it.
I am aware that the vet can prescribe him steroids, but I don't see that as a long-term solution and I don't want to go down that road.
The plan is to combine the natural treatments with a pill or two till the problem is fixed, then we'll take him off the pills and see if the changed diet, supplements, essential oils, regular cleaning and whatnot will keep him in the pink.
As far as his environment goes, we can vacuum clean and condition the air in our home, but there's nothing we can do about what he encounters outside. The same applies to me, so I'll help him the same way I help myself: through the use and application of supplements and remedies -- with an emphasis on "natural" remedies.
Later then,
T
[notify]
Dougal

I own zero, but- I'm seldom- dissatisfied

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:39pm PST 
I'm happy to report that a daily dose of evening primrose oil has cured the atopic dermatitis (eczema). I have a supply of Piriton (antihistamine), but never had to take it. So that's two conditions cured with natural remedies: a change of food and a supplement.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:49am PST 
Hey Everyone
You can get all information about skin problem and solution very useful tips about face problems and get amazing results in few days.read more
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '12 5:30pm PST 
Molly is a six year old beautiful little westie who's skin issues are rampant and basically out of control. I have the worst vet on the planet, charging for office visits, tests and meds that don't work. The tests reveal bactreria, which has been addressed with potent shampoos and many antibiotics that aren't working. Then, there's Atopica! What a joy it is to get this massive pill down a tiny throat! Atopica is useless, too. The current vet has pumped her with shots of Predinisone and pills. She has gained ten pounds, which is scary.

Food isn't an issue, she was tested at the allery vet. Her environmental allergies are the big offender. All I want is to get this nightmare for her under control just for a little quality of life.

I am interested in the primrose oil, what does the therapy entail? Is it ingested or topical? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED, I AM DESPERATE.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:11pm PST 
Here is what I did to get my Westie's skin issues under control:

1) VET: Take your dog to the vet and get 3 things: A) A blood test for allergies, B) a 10 day course of Simplicef (an antibiotic for skin infections) and a C) 10 day course of Temaril (a combination of antihistamine for allergies and a steroid to control inflammation). You don't want to give your dog meds for the long term, it will ruin his immune system and stomach and make the problem worse. Only for 10 to 14 days to get the initial problem under control, and then you have to do maintenance at home which I will explain in detail.

2) ELIMINATE/AVOID ALLERGENS: Once you get the test results for the allergies, you eliminate everything you can that he is allergic to. For example, my westie is allergic to lamb, so I switched him off the lamb meal food to a chicken and rice formula and that solved half of the problem. He is also allergic to grass, which I cannot avoid, but control with frequent baths (more on that later). A good type of food is important. I'm giving him Blue small breed/healthy weight and it has very healthy ingredients. Also, I supplement with the occasional chicken breast and rice or additional protein, fish oil mixed with the food is also good.

3) GROOMING: Take him to the pet groomer and shave his hair off. You can tell them to leave the Westie look on the face and tail, but tell them to use the clippers with comb #7 to leave his hair only half an inch long on his body. This will accomplish several things. His skin will be able to breathe better, important for healing. You will be able to observe what is going on with his skin better and where the problem areas are, so you can treat them. And finally, when you bathe him it will be easier to dry him just with a towel and let him air dry.

4) SUPPLIES: Got to the local pharmacy or walmart and get 5 things: A) Johnsons Baby Moisture Wash with Shea and Cocoa butter (not the baby shampoo, it has to be the baby moisture wash)-this is better than any medicated shampoo as they are irritating and what you want to do is cleanse gently so you can bathe him more often without irritating him. Plus it's way cheaper at only $3 a bottle. B) An oatmeal bath treatment from Aveeno or a generic brand. It comes in envelopes that you empty into the bathwater to make a bath that is soothing and relieves itching, turns the water white like milk. C) A plastic container for rinsing, can be a tupperware or I use an oversize plastic measuring cup because it has a handle. Make sure it's plastic, you don't want to use glass that can break and cut you or the dog. D) Get a 10% Cortisone cream. E) Benadryl antihistamine, the pink pill that is only antihistamine (without any decongestant, this is not good for dogs, do not get the blue pill).

5) BATHING: Fill the tub half way with luke warm water. Not hot, you don't want to burn your dog's sensitive skin, and not cold because it's not as soothing. Once you have the lukewarm water, add an envelope of the oatmeal bath treatment and dissolve until water is white. Bring your westie into the tub, he will like the warm bath. Get him wet with the plastic container pouring water all over his body. Then lather him well with the Johnsons Baby Moisture Wash with Shea butter. Make sure to get the legs, paws and especially anywhere he is very itchy. I leave the head for last because I don't want to get soap in his eyes, nose or ears, so I gently wash the face and rinse it right away avoiding those areas. Rinse his entire body by pouring water with the plastic container, make sure to remove all the soap. Keep rinsing him for at least 10 minutes, it gives the oatmeal a chance to soothe his skin. Then take him out and towel dry him well. Then he can air dry, the short hair will be dry rather fast within 1-2 hours. Repeat this bath every 2-3 days until he gets better. The bathe him any time you see him starting to get itchy or scratch, or anytime he gets wet or dirty.

6) Take the 10% cortisone cream and apply it to areas that are especially itchy. Give him a Benadryl pill every evening. Make sure it's only the antihistamine pink pill (do not use the one with decongestant). If he is extremely itchy, you can do one in the morning and one at night. Do not do more than 2 a day, and always give it with food and water.

7) If possible, move somewhere with a colder climate. Warm climates exacerbate allergies for Westies. When I moved from Miami to DC I noticed a big improvement in the winter months.

I follow all of these instructions every time my Westie has a skin allergy episode. He used to get them almost every month. Now that I've learned how to treat him, we are down to 2-3 episodes per year, which is not bad, and even then it only takes a couple of weeks to get the itchiness under control after doing all of the above. I hope this helps some Westies and Westie owners out there!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 2:02pm PST 
Hi

I would really appreciate some advice. My vet diagnosed my gorgeous Westie (3, male) with an allergy to dust mites. She said it is safe to give him 2 piriton a day, and this is combined with bathing with Malaseb shampoo.

Dougal is licking his paws almost raw even with the methods below. We steam clean regularily, walks etc, dry his feet off after his walks, but it seems to be really bad right now, and I don't know what to do,

He is using James Wellbeloved food too which the vet recommended also. He is also prone to vomiting if he eats too quickly.

I really would value safe, tried and tested methods for him, it is distressing us and him I think. Otherwise, he is a really happy dog. I will give the olive oil in food too.

It is Autumn here in Scotland, and cold outside, so central heating is on too when required frown

Thank you so much in advance.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 2:46pm PST 
Spray your dos feet with 50% white vinigar each night, it will work, the yeast cannot survive the change in PH.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2