GO!

Puppy Weimaraner Questions! First time weim owner

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Pixel

Don't call me- runt!

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 12:04pm PST 
We just got a puppy weimaraner at xmas time. She's now 9 weeks old and we love her!! We have a few questions/concerns. First, at what age does the teething stop? She nips quite a bit and all of our hands are a bit chewed up. Also, her nails are getting WAY too long, is she too young to have them clipped? And she's a pretty stinky dog, we're pretty sure it's her breath, is it too early to brush. If you couldn't tell this is our first time, well my first...my husband has had dogs in the past but it's been a loooong while, so we have lots of questions. Our weim is a runt as well so she's a tiny girl, but we are just starting out with training and everything else and don't know when "she's just being a puppy" is supposed to stop and teething is no longer the excuse for chewing on our hands and feet. Any suggestions are MOST appreciated!!!
[notify]
Remington

Carb Junkie

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 10:45pm PST 
Congratulations on the new weim puppy big grin You're definately in for a lot of fun & work, too LOL.

Since she's only 9 weeks old she's just getting started on shedding her milk teeth, so she should go through a few more months of it. But she'll probably still bite at your hands after that, too. There are a few things you can do. Tell her "no" "stop" or "ouch" in a firm voice . Then, completely ignore her (no touching, no eye contact, no talking, etc) for at least a full minute, give her something she can chew on, or distract her with a game or with practicing obedience commands. You can also put a few coins in a can (tape the top so that the coins can't fall out) or bottle & drop it beside so that the sound startles her. Make sure to praise her after each of these times when she's playing with you & doesn't bite. Another good tip is to never play any games that could in any way make her think that it's okay to bite or have your hand in her mouth.

She's definately old enough to have her nails trimmed & her teeth brushed. They're both very good ways for ya'll to bond with each other & the sooner you start it the more used to it she'll be when she's older. Oh, & don't forget to clean her ears, too. Weims can easily get ear infections.

Weims are wonderful dogs, but they're definately not for everyone. We always say that they're diabolically smart (Remy knows how to open the front door when he wants to go out) & extremely human-like. So, the best advice I can give you about weims is : don't let her get away with anything as a puppy that you don't want her doing as an adult & make sure to do at least some obedience training with her (it helps a LOT, believe me laugh out loud )

Good luck!
[notify]