GO!

Trouble teaching to Come

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Levi

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 8:29am PST 
We adopted a puppy from a rescue shelter after loosing our dog-child Buddy of 11 years, and trust me I did not think I could ever fall in love again. Levi was such a bundle of fur that I could not resist and so we have a new addition to our family, but after having his DNA done we are having one big problem with Levi, and that is to come once he gets his nose to the ground. Levi is a Great Pyrenees/Treeing Walker Coon Hound and 6 months old. He trained very quickly to going potty outside, sitting, staying, shake, and even come, but once he gets a scent,we loose communication with him....any advice would be helpful.
[notify]
Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 3:24pm PST 
What a cool mix your dog is. smile Unfortunately coonhounds (and pretty much all scenthounds) have selective hearing if they're on a scent. If they're tracking a scent when you call them, they'll ignore you. I had a purebred beagle before Abby, my 1 1/2 year old Treeing Walker/Beagle mix. She was the same way and Abby definitely likes to ignore me if she's busy sniffing something or exploring outside. They're very determined and driven.

This probably isn't the best way to do it, but most of these dogs are food motivated. Once in a while, Abby will come in when I tell her "come", but sometimes I have to promise her (or show her) a cookie or peanut butter, her favorite snack. That usually gets her to come. She also loves going for walks, so I will show her the leash and that will get her to come. Anything that your dog loves or excites him - a favorite snack or toy - try showing him that and saying "come"... soon he'll learn to associate it with that.
[notify]