GO!

Training Help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Lucy

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 8:32pm PST 
Lucy is 2 yrs old and still in a modified puppy stage ...in otherwords, she's calming down but still has her moments. She is a talker and is learning not to yell in my face or paw me with her claw-like talons. Each day shows a little improvement. We live on a small rural farm and she has plenty of running opportunities during the day with lots of places to explore in the surrounding woods. She gets on well with the other dogs (a Cairn and a border terrier), two cats (house and barn) but can't control the urge to chase chickens! She sleeps on my bed every night. I used to keep a crate for her to quiet her in the evenings but it just took up too much room and didn't blend with my antebellum home! I've had springer spaniels that didn't mellow out until age 4 so I expect my big Lucy may take a bit longer. But she doesn't chew shoes any more (although she loves to take laundry off the line and delights in strewing my undies on the front lawn (scandalous). This is all normal coonhound behavior. Don't go blaming the owners everytime they might express exasperation. Take heart, coonhounds take time. You might have frayed nerves but once your coonhound turns into a couch potato (and they do) it will all be worth it.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:51am PST 
We adopted our purebred Walker two years ago. It has taken this long to have her become friendly with other dogs...It takes time and patience. Our hound is a loyal and protective pal and I wouldn't trade her...The more you read about the breed, the better! Your hound needs exercise, exercise, exercise! They love to hunt and must be given opportunity. We go on "sniff" adventures; looking for bunnies! We don't let our buddy get them...But she sure enjoys sniffing them out. We also play "Find the Treat" in the house. Just hide your buddy's favourite treat around the house...He/she will love sniffing all over to find all the treats.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:04pm PST 
Ours is 3 years old now and starting to settle in. The first year was pretty rough and she is still full of energy. The key is to wear them out mentally as physically they can go for hours. To wear our munchkin out we take her to visit people when we go to town, most stores allow us to bring her in. We've taken her to obedience training and that's helped too. She also had other dogs that she loves to socialize with and just 20 min playing with another dog wears her out for a few hours. She also loves to chew so we buy beef soup bones from the butcher and bake them for a couple hours to render off the excess fat. Chewing for a while wears her out too. These tend to be very social dogs and require a lot of stimulation. Hope that helps a bit.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2