GO!

Need some information please.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chanel

Don't let this- face fool you.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 3:33pm PST 
Hello everyone.....I was wondering if any one could tell me when a poodle changes it's hair? At about what age? Mine is 8 mo old now and has very, very straight hair. The other day the groomer told me she was not a pure breed because of the hair.
Thanks....wink
[notify]
Shasta

I'm a lover!!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 6:49pm PST 
You know some poodles hair changes around 6-9 months and others never do change I have 5 poodles 4 real curly 1 is not so curly this does not mean that they are not pure bred I have found that the shorter I cut her hair the curlier it comes back in however its so cold here I have not completly shaved her. your welcome to look at my pups and see shasta does not have real curly hair but she is pure bred she has been dna tested... Dont let your groomer freak you out...eek
[notify]
Shasta

I'm a lover!!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 6:54pm PST 
oh more pics of her on my website if you want to look at her hair compared to my other poodles http://www.freewebs.com/tikespoodles/
[notify]

~Belle~

R.I.P. 10/15/94 - 6/24/08

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 5:26pm PST 
Don't pay any attention to the groomer. I've got two dogs that are as different as night and day. Cricket has very fine straight hair and Belle is as curly as they come and both of them are pure breds.
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '08 8:07am PST 
Poodles, from my experience, can have different hair textures. Some of fluffy soft tight curled. Some are have more coarse hair and straighter. Or a variation of those traits.

My poodle has the fluffy soft hair, which feels like velvet. I have had a poodle in the past with more coarse hair. I do like the soft haired ones more.
[notify]
Cartier

Couture Doggy

Barked: Sat Jul 19, '08 8:45pm PST 
Cartier has mostly wavy hair but has a very tightly curled spot right above his tail. lol, i dont think just because they are poodles they will have super curly hair.
[notify]
Michi

Michi-kaboola-pu- ppamus dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 5:03pm PST 
My adopted baby sister and i are like night and day. I'm charcoal colored with very soft wavy hair and she is apricot with tightly curled ringlets and some straight wirey hairs that stick up through the curls along her back. Mom says we are both purebred and i believe her cuz she's never lied to us before!!
[notify]
Chi

Chi-Chi-Chirilla

Barked: Tue Jun 30, '09 12:24pm PST 
I really don't know ours is 7 months old and she is a mix, so we are wishing for it to stay wavy and not tighten into curls
[notify]
Paris

J&D's not your- steppin' stone

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 8:23am PST 
An excellent quality poodle should have a full adult coat at about 1 year of age.

That being said it also depends on how many hair cuts he has received, how much care the coat gets etc.

It is a good idea to regularly shave a poodle puppy if you want the adult hair to come in thick and curly at an early age.

There are many poodles of "poor quality" that have straight wispy fine hair their entire life.

Typically you want to pick a puppy that is already showing signs of slight hair curling, and has a nice THICK puppy coat.

Those with straight wispy hair tend to never have a full topknot.

Just because your puppy has straight hair does not mean she is not purebred, and is pretty out of line for your groomer to say such a thing.
[notify]
Muffin- Shinaynay- Stewart

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 4:46pm PST 
Don't listen to the groomer. My poodle is a pure bred AKC registered toy poodle, and she has soft, fuzzy, straighter hair. They don't all have the typical tightly curled hair like you think a poodle should be. They can have various textures.
[notify]