GO!

Poodle Tail docking

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Theodore

I am a- bunny-pussy-bear- / AKA Grrrrrr

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 5:28pm PST 
I am a new poodle owner (although we had them growing up) and i had no idea that they docked their tails. My little theodore is eligable or showing and i am just now coming around to possiblitiy of actually doing it.

I had no idea their tails are docked! i dont really like the idea, not that it matters, but i am afraid that my breeder got it docked too short!!!!

it is not level with his skull, in fact it is so short, it looks like a bunny's tail (1 inch).

heres the Q'........ will it grow longer, or not??? i feel like my little guy has been betrayed and denied a tail to wag for his whole life. poor baby, please help!
[notify]
Aspen Dancer

I'm a daddies- girl

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 7:02pm PST 
sorry to say alot of people who breed dogs take them in not knowing what to ask for when having tails docked and go along with what the vet does "champion cut" means longer and sorry to say alot of poodles end up with short short tails my boy banjo is a good example of a tail docked wrong to short the other 4 have much much longer tails. I have toys and 1 standard poodle. hope this helps
[notify]
Theodore

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 11:48pm PST 
hmm i had a feeling. altho its nice to know that i am not the only one with this problem. my moms poodle has a short tail too, but his is level with his skull, so i felt very jipped. do you think it is a major big deal when it comes to showing or am i out of luck??
[notify]

Aspen Dancer

I'm a daddies- girl

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 4:02pm PST 
Boy im not sure about the showing AKC states for tail standards
"Body
(a) Chest deep and moderately wide with well sprung ribs. (b) The loin is short, broad and muscular. (c) Tail straight, set on high and carried up, docked of sufficient length to insure a balanced outline. Major fault: set low, curled, or carried over the back." Sit looks like if it is that short it would be a Major fault
www.akc.org/breeds/poodle/index.cfm
look here for all akc standards for toy poodles
[notify]
Theodore

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 1:44am PST 
yes, i have looked there, but there is no specific range in inches or cm for toys or teacups, just level with skull kind of thing. e.g. 1.4in-2.5in. there is none of that. im guessing that if it was a huge deal, that there would be strict standards and it does not sound that strict. however, it would be a shame if he could never win 1st place because of this. frown has anyone seen this happen to anyone in an artical or in real life?
[notify]
Muffin- Shinaynay- Stewart

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 4:41pm PST 
I just got a toy poodle monday, and I was surprised to see that her tail was docked. I didn't even know they did that on poodles...
[notify]