GO!

I really, really like to bark

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Roxy

Summer Fun Is- Here

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 10:53am PST 
Roxy barks at the least little thing and sometimes I can't even figure out what she is barking at. shrug I tell her "no", which she knows the meaning of well. Sometimes she stops, somethimes she doesn't silenced I refuse to use one of those shocker things. Does anyone have a method that works for them?
[notify]
Winnie

Mommy's Little- Girl

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 3:25pm PST 
Well my great aunt says to grab her collar and say "No!" whileholding her collar back. If that dose not work then hold her in your lap and make sure she calms down.dog
[notify]
Kobe

Kobe is the- happiest dog in- Santa Cruz!

Barked: Sun May 6, '07 9:03pm PST 
as an alternative to a shock collar, you can try one of those citronella ones. instead of shocking them, it sprays citronella (not ON them but close by). they don't like the smell.

i've never tried either one but i hear the citronella ones work good.
[notify]

Rebel

The Southern- Boy, Johnny Reb

Barked: Thu May 31, '07 9:59pm PST 
shrug Tell me about it! My mom tells me to SHHHH! and I just look at her like I don't understand...Well, its really like this, you see, Mom doesn't really know that those birds in the tree are talking about me and I just can't make them leave...but then again, those guys jogging down the street or the kids playing just seem like so much fun...I just wanna join in on all the action..What's a TFT to do? Let me know if you find a way to help me stop getting in so much trouble for my hello's to everyone! wishes Love, Rebel wave
[notify]
WILLIE

willie the- wonkster

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '07 4:49pm PST 
I use the short, sharp "shhh" sound (from the Dog Whisperer) on Willie.plus, the finger point and stare. It really stops him, and I have done it consistently so now he's really in tune to it. It has really curbed how much he barks.

Edited by author Sun Jul 8, '07 4:51pm PST

[notify]
Truman

Thin may be in- but phat is- where it's at

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '07 11:10am PST 
wave
This board is really old but just for teh record I like to bark too!
and sleepcloud 9
[notify]
♥Seri- ousSamIAm&he- arts;

Happy as a clam- Sam!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 8:22pm PST 
Sam is not a huge barker but I think it is b/c he does not have access to the windows in the front of the house, therefore he is not taunted by what is going on outside. If he hears loud noises he will bark but he does not do that constantly. I wonder if all these barking dogs have free access to see the outdoors. I know that may not be feesible for most people but it is just an observation if anything.shrug
[notify]
foxxi- cleopatra

Its my party; i- make the rules!- Dazzle!

Barked: Tue Jan 20, '09 5:21pm PST 
My dog was like that when i first got her..
however.. ive found that it was from lack of stimuli...
when i consulted a trainer.. she stated that since my dog has not been exercising and is not well socialized with the world around her she is basically responding to every sound because she dosent know where they come from..

either that.. or you have a ghost. lol..
[notify]
Dutchess

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 9:34am PST 
I had the same problem. What I ended up learning to do was use a rolled up magazine and hit a solid object with it. At first I would hit too hard and really scare her, but after the first few times learned that a softer sound would work just fine. NEVER hit the poor pup. But the sound of the magazine slapping the table or walls startles her and she forgets what she was barking at. I also had limited success with putting her on her leash and walking her around the outside of the house so that she could see for herself there was nothing 'wrong' unfortunately once the snow fell she couldn't take the cold.
[notify]
Chloe

I might be- small, but I am- Terrier!

Barked: Sun Nov 1, '09 6:16am PST 
Chloe does the same thing. I think sometimes she just likes to hear herself bark! I taught her to use her "inside voice". I would whisper "shhhh - inside voice", and she learned to bark quietly, or just "talk". Can't say she does it every time I ask, but for the most part she listens.

TFT's are smart, but they definitely have a mind of their own!big grin
[notify]