GO!

German Coolie -name change?

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 3:54am PST 
Not sure if this is where this goes, but I was wondering why Dogster only has listed 'German Coolies' when they originated in Australia? Certainly the german settlers had great influence in the making pf the breed, but the breed itself is from Australia and more often than not spelt 'Koolie' and not 'Coolie'. When I first went to find Rogue's breed I was shocked that Dogster didn't list it, then realised it was under a completely different name. They would be better off calling the breed 'Australian Koolie' as opposed to the slightly misguided name of 'German Coolie'.
[notify]
Webster

Eternally in- love with- Katie...

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 11:17pm PST 
thinking I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the breeds listed as available selections here on the site are based on their recognition by the American Kennel Club (AKC).

Is that a valid criteria? shrug Hard to say, but I can easily understand why they don't simply allow any breed that someone claims to exist. (I am NOT saying that is true in your case!)
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:09am PST 
As far as I know Koolies don't even have a set breed standard yet, because they have always been bred for working ability first and apart from their distinctive merle coat, their looks come a far second. A number of dedicated breeders are trying to change that, but it will be a long while yet before there is a definitive breed standard for koolies. At least in Australia anyway, although I would have thought if there was no breed standard here when this is where they originated from, there would not currently be one set by the AKC.
[notify]