GO!

Ears

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

Nico

Nico's home page

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 3:06am PST 
Any tips on cleaning ears on a big German Shepherd?
[notify]
Umberto

RAW Basics

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 1:14pm PST 
Most ear problems/infections are actually diet related, so if your dog has an issue with constant itching or dirty ears, please take a look into his dog food and its ingredients.

Does your dog currently have an ear issue that you are trying to clean up? Or do you just feel/see the need to clean his ears? ...that would help determine what to clean with.

I don't clean my dogs' ears, but once in a while if I see something on the dirty side, I just wipe them down with a damp paper towel. If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to email me at contact@rawbasicsllc.com
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 5:28am PST 
For just basic cleaning, mix one part white vinegar with one part water, apply to a gauze pad or waschcloth and wipe the visible part of the ear. If there is a little bit of wax, you can add a bit of this solution to the ear, rub at the base of the ear and dry thouroughly with a dry cloth. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, no matter what!
Since the GS has upright ears, he really shouldn't have much gunk in them. If you see a lot of wax, coffee ground type gunk or smell something unusual, take him to the vet before you clean anything. Dogs can have infections and occasionally a ruptured eardrum and self cleaning can do more harm than good.
Good luck!way to go
[notify]