GO!

First post and breed question!

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dodger

Cooler than a- polar bear's toe- nails ;-)

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 6:25pm PST 
Hello all...New to this forum and likin it a lot! Anyways, I've always grown up around big dogs and recently adopted a dog from my local shelter. They said he was a St. Bernard mix but don't know exactly what kind he is. Anyways, I figure him to have at least some Swiss Mountain in him...but his coat isn't the typical black and tan. Anywhoo...I'd really appreciate it if you guys can chip in and let me know what you think! Thanks.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 12:07am PST 
I have no Idea what breed(S) he is but Dodger is adorable!!
Welcome to Dogster and we're glad you like it here.Pup pal thingy on the way.
Mika,Kai&Mom
[notify]
Dodger

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 1:10am PST 
Thanks! Dodger is an awesome dog and I think whoever gave him upto the shelter raised him well around ppls as dogs his size need to be ppl/living space trained when they're pups..he's sooo well behaved..actually he's really lazy and likes to nap like big dogs do..hahha! But he's lovin it cuz he's not leashed and just chills out, explores, and eats(sleep is everywhere and always in between)!
[notify]

Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 6:57am PST 
Well I was thinking Maybe a bloodhound or coonhound with some giant breed. Maybe not a st, bernard. Maybe an American bulldog or a mastiff?

But I def. See a hound in there.
[notify]
Dodger

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:53am PST 
Hey Sam, I think you may be right. Like when he barks, he tends to throw his head back and kinda hops and lifts his front legs off the ground. Its funny, cause it looks as if the bark literally lifts him off the ground, I always thought hounds tend to bark or bay like that. But he rarely barks and usually for good reason, very mellow but active and playful guy!
[notify]
Dodger

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:56am PST 
BTW, Sam looks beautiful! I used to have a Husky, but he wasn't pure bred, he had a lil Akita Shepherd in him, and could pass for a smaller stocky wolf at times!
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 12:34pm PST 
Thanks!

Yeah that barking behavior solidifies my guess even more. Not a hound owner but I knew quite a few..

Beautiful mix though very interesting! I love dogs that look unique like that! How much does he/she weigh? (sorry forgot..will look once finished with this post)
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 12:41pm PST 
Oh and welcome to Dogster! Sorry I forgot about that part before!
[notify]
Dodger

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 3:27pm PST 
Thanks, I think this forum is great...I'm one of those guys that can talk bout dogs all day! I love dogs, and luckily always had a dog as long as I can remember. I finally got Dodger after like 7 yrs since my last dog, Jake(the Husky/Akita)who was kinda like a brother since we grew up together(11 yrs)! In my humble experience with dogs, I'd say Dodger has some Retriever/Hound/ and his body is kinda like a mastiff. He's pretty active and in awesome health, if I were the original owner I can't imagine giving him up! BTW, I get a kick out of every time he bothers enough to bark seriously, that houndish way of barking is really funny..lol.

p.s- Do you think it really matters if I pay 80$ or 20$ for anti-tick treatment/medicine? I recently got the once monthly oil drops for like 25$ and I was wondering if it was worth shelling out like 80 bucks..snoopy

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 3:38pm PST

[notify]
Sam

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 6:23am PST 
Not an expert o tick and flea meds. I tried frontline, still had ticks, tried the cheaper one, same result. Both kept a lot of them off, but still a few managed to stick. After finding out from fellow dogsters how, even after years of using the stuff, the stuff can send a dog into seizures or kill it, I stopped using. Not I use herbal shampoo, drops, and sprays which I administer every few days. I try to put some spray on his face and paws every time we go out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2