GO!

Chewing and jumping up

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rex

Rayroo

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 3:16pm PST 
If anyone has had problems with their Standard Schnauzer chewing on everything or jumping up we could use your help . We have tried bitter apple spray and he has plenty of toys. He chews all bedding and he even chewed a hole in a bean bag chair . If anyone has any suggestions we would really appreciate it!
[notify]
Guss

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:29pm PST 
When I read your post I laughed outloud.I can sure realate... Our Guss has chewed up more things than all of the other dogs we have every had combined. And at 9 months we are STILL working on jumping. So... don't feel alone. Raising your knee when he jumps so it meets his chest works very well with a firm no no nsense voice say ..."OFF".
They are so easily bored they will eat the cupboard doors if they don't have entertainment. We keep on top of making sure he has smaty yoys and we rotate them so he is surprised when he sees an old toy he forgot about. Also, Our boy goes to PlayCare. 12.00 a day and he is exhausted when I pick him up. We are actually going to get another Standard as soon as I can find one. We have always had a "pair" of dogs and they just do better.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:44pm PST 
My SS hates to be ignored. She does not get a pat in the morning until she sits. We ask our daughter to do the same. It helps to ask visitors to do the same for a little while. Now she realises that the best way to get a pat and cuddles quickly is to sit. Then the reward is the pat and then outside for an active game (very hard for her to keep that wagging butt still when she is excited, so we really reward her).
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:16am PST 
We have two SS's and love them dearly but they can be a challenging breed. I agree with the last commenter, as we found that the jumping up issue was best solved by giving an 'alternate' command. Once we were started telling our first girl to sit and would then pet her, we started having much more success. However, you need to make sure that they are truly sitting . . . wiggling in the sit is fine, but if they just touch their bottoms down and then bounce up --don't reward with attention. The chewing definitely varies from dog to dog, but best solution is to restrict area(s) they can go into until they are past the chewing stages. It makes life happier for everyone. Is Guss from a Michigan breeder? Handsome lad and has the darker face typical of of breeder's dogs that I know.
[notify]