|Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 4:22am PST |
|I'm just starting in disc myself. I have a back stall but our vault is still a work in progress. Here's just some thoughts on both off the top of my head.
- With all the agility work as well as the tricks I'd taught Cohen that involved jumping over my arms/legs, I found it hard to get her to understand the concept of a leg vault. I found she was better going from my right to my left (which meant holding/tossing the disc with my left hand) than my left to my right.
- I think a lot of it is placement of the dog and the disc. Here's a video that breaks it down a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Jnsp3dzEA. Note that he's just having the dog do takes of the frisbee and he's not tossing it at all. Also note that he's working close by the dog to start.
- Back stalls are tough to train if you don't have anyone helping you. Consider grabbing a training partner. I trained it solo. Try using a bathmat as a placement indicator. Get the dog used to jumping up onto objects marked with the bath mat. Then move the mat to your back and give that a go. I find that it helps if I have another prop to pattern the dog on a few times (like maybe the mat placed on top of a bar stool) then try on my back a few times, then move back to the stool, then my back, all within the same training session.
- Keep training sessions SHORT. I have a tendency to overtrain, but I find that with disc, less is almost always more.
- Before teaching a back stall we had a jump into my arms behaviour, and before a vault I already had a rebound behaviour. I think these helped teach Cohen to a) trust me and b) feel comfortable using my body as a jungle gym when requested. It doesn't come naturally to all dogs.
- My major issue with the vaults these days is disc placement. I'm still learning through trial and error where the disc needs to be, and I have a hard time getting it there with any regularity. Thank goodness Cohen is a patient training partner since so much of success in disc relies on the handler.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|