GO!

Doggy Backpacking?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:05pm PST 
I recently bought Firefly a backpack for our hiking trips to carry her water, waste bags, etc. I noticed Firefly is becoming a bit of a couch potato and has gained five unnecessary pounds!

So I decided hiking/backpacking would be excellent for her! Does anyone else doggy backpack?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:25pm PST 
I haven't with Onyx yet (didn't want to make him carry extra weight before he was fully grown), but my other dog has a pack. He gets really excited when I bring it out, stands still for me to put it on, and seems to walk with an extra spring in his step like he knows he's doing an important job.

Main things are to, of course, build up weight in the pack gradually, and I also try to keep the water balanced on each side since that's most of our weight. The little collapsible dog bowls are awesome for doggy backpacking.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 7:03pm PST 
I am starting Firefly out on the tiny battles of water, since two mini sized ones keep Fly hydrated on short trails. She also has a collapsible bowl! big grin

I'm pretty excited, and she wore her empty pack around the house and really seemed to enjoy it, especially when she realized I was keeping some tasty treats in the pouches. So now she is comfortable with it and knows it is a thing of rewards. Tomorrow we are going to do an interpretative loop trail (an easy trail)
after her vet visit. Half way through the trail, I'll add her mini water bottles.

Woo!
[notify]