GO!

One HIP Wonder=Agility

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Mihkoa

Puppy Mill- Product. Pet- Shop Survivor.

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 6:01pm PST 
Ok agility dogs... how many of you out there have had an FHO (or two)? Just curious to see if there are any others out there besides me.
[notify]
Porter CL1-R- CL1-F

Mine!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:50am PST 
No FHO, but a broken pelvis almost 4 years ago for Porter (regular vet and first consult were insistent he would need surgery, third opinion was of the no-surgery option). He is still going strong and although he no longer competes (serious stress issues), he loves to play the game and I think that my knowledge of canine conditioning has kept him in the form he is in today.
[notify]
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:24am PST 
We don't compete, but Mom calls me High Flyin' Harvey!!!
[notify]

Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:38am PST 
What is an FHO?
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 9:46am PST 
Femoral Head Osteotomy, usually a treatment for hip dyslasia. They cut off the head of the femur and allow the leg to heal basically, which usually provides smoother movement and less pain for the dog, as the femur head before hand is really mis shapped.

Good for you guys! ive seen a few tripods compete at our local CPE trials.

Edited by author Tue Jul 2, '13 9:48am PST

[notify]
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:39pm PST 
Actually, FHO's are all too common in smaller breeds and other dogs due to other diseases such as Legges Calf Perth Disease and Aseptic necrosis, as well as injury resulting in fractures of the femur head.
Harvey had LCPD, which is an interruption of the blood supply, most likely in the womb, which results in the death of the femur head. It crumbles and collapses and causes extreme pain in affected dogs while they are still puppies and the only cure is a FHO.
Aseptic necrosis is also an interruption of the blood supply to the femur head but is the result of some sort of inflammatory process and can occur at any age. It can and does affect ANY breed, large or small.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 3:57pm PST 
Thanks for answering my question. I am not a native English speaker so many letter lumps and dog sport jargon are foreign for me because you don't find them in a dictionary and I keep forgetting that there is also google.

Alva has bad hips and our choice was to quit agility. I sometimes allow her to run some contact obstacles, tunnels and weaves if we meet agility obstacles somewhere but I do not practice regularly or compete.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:08pm PST 
Interesting Harvey. As a vet tech I've only seen FHO's done for Hip Dysplasia. Never knew! smile

Congrats on doing so well with such a big surgery! smile
[notify]