GO!

Agility or Flyball?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Cairo

Ninja Dog- Extraordinaire

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 4:14pm PST 
My Pointer mix is very athletic(which would make sense), loves tennis balls, running, and can hop an 8 foot fence.

I intend to enroll her in some kind of sport class to burn off her extra energy and mentally exercise her as well, but I'm not quite sure which route to take.

On one hand, I know she would do well with agility, but I'm hesitant to pursue that because the last thing I want is her to be able to quickly navigate obstacles in the event that something spooks her and she bolts. (we're starting training to work on that next week, don't worry)

On the other hand, I know she would love Flyball but finding a team/league/training class in my area is proving to be difficult.

Any suggestions? Experiences?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 7:05pm PST 
Have you checked the NAFA database?

You could really go either way. Agility would increase his confidence and technical proficiency when it comes to navigating obstacles, however it's not a free-for-all. The huge amount of obedience and precision work that is also involved will give you both better control in these situations, and give you a better chance of being able to talk him out of leaving.
[notify]
Cairo

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 6:18am PST 
I've checked the NAFA database and it appears as if the teams in my area either haven't gotten around to websites or are now defunct.

I hadn't thought of Agility from the obedience perspective at all(which I realize is a huge thing to overlook). I'd intended both to help boost her confidence, because at this point I think they're really the only things that will. Thank you for your answer! I'm sure there are plenty of agility classes nearby.
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 7:15am PST 
I found flyball to be kind of tough to get into. I emailed around to clubs listed on the NAFA database, those who weren't defunct weren't looking for random new members with green dogs. I got into it through my agility friends, and I took a flyball class at a local training facility to teach the basics.

I think agility would be the better choice, considering what you're describing of your dog's temperament. As already mentioned, agility dogs end up with some killer self control around distractions, and the sport itself can really boost a dog's confidence. Plus, it's just you and your dog; no other teammates to worry about.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 2:50pm PST 
I also looked into getting into flyball with my Jack Russell but was unable to find any teams in my area. After talking to a canine rehab special-ist(Dogster won't let me spell out the word for some reason) she said she sees more injuries with flyball and they are very often more severe and can be harder to rehabilitate. It is most often the shoulders and back that are impacted because of the way the dogs hit the box(they usually hit very hard and it basically causes a whiplash effect). She does see injuries in agility but not often and they are often easier to rehabilitate.

I was doing agility with Shadow at the time I was looking into flyball with Chase and decided I didn't want to risk the potential for back and shoulder problems that often come with flyball so I started agility with Chase. He is often fearful and still has some issues with the teeter(it is often harder for the little dogs to get the hang of it) however it has really helped him come out of his shell and he's having a blast!

Agility requires obedience and I think it really does help the dogs learn self control. I have seen many dogs that start out running around the ring and won't even come back to their owners to dogs that now have their CATCHs or MACHs. It takes time to get them there but it is well worth it. The bond you form with your dog is also wonderful and it's great when you finally start feeling like a team.
[notify]
Cairo

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 8:03pm PST 
I hadn't even thought of the injury possibility. My dog has a tendency to put on her brakes at the last minute and she's still pretty thin so I can see that not ending well...I think agility is definitely the best choice now.

Thank you!
[notify]
Skye

Aren't I cute!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 2:06am PST 
We compete at both.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 7:18pm PST 
Both Charks & I love agility... It IS a team sport. It is about learning to talk to each other... at high speed. Let's see... craziest thing I've tried was sending Charks over a jump by just moving my eyes (yep, it worked)... and it says a lot about how closely she watches for cues. Incredible fun.
[notify]
BoyGeorge

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 8:22pm PST 
Good choice to start with agility first, then you can try flyball later and it is surely a great achievement for both of you! way to go

We got a good set of agility starting kit from petstreet mall, there will be some energetic dogs that will foster soon so burning some of their energy is fun!
[notify]