GO!

Hiking

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:30pm PST 
I have several parks with nice trails very close to home, so I try to get out and visit a different one each week. Just a nice change of scenery from our usual walks. I grabbed my camera as I was heading out the door today, and took some pics of our hike.

This scenery isn’t too bad.

Enough with the pictures, let's go already!

Hay field

Can't really tell from this angle, but that's a vineyard in the background.

This paved bike trail is part of a program called ‘Rails to Trails,’ which converts old railway lines into recreation trails.

Anybody else enjoy hiking with their dogs?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 5:02pm PST 
Nice pics. Is that Sonoma County or the Lafayette/Orinda area?

I hike with Moose in the trails up in the hills in the east bay and the scenery is almost identical. Except the foxtails no longer have any green on them. The brush is all brown and unfortunately because of fire control, the grass/foxtails get weed whacked down about 3 ft out from the trails, which then makes them perfect for going up Moose's nose.
I'd hike more with him but I'm beyond paranoid of foxtails. Especially since once they're weed whacked, they break apart all over the trails.

Abbey looks like she's having fun.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 6:29pm PST 
Love hiking with Onyx! It's his main source of exercise. I'm always on the lookout for new places we can hike off lead, but we hit up places where leashes are required from time to time. I only have a few thousand pictures from hiking laugh out loud We've also recently started biking on some of our trails so he can get more exercise.

Foxtails are really bad right now here, too. We've had to stop going to a trail we'd previously been walking almost every day because his coat picks them up so badly. Hoping in a couple months it'll be usable again. Fortunately we have a few other trails that are mostly foxtail free to use in the meantime.
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 8:15am PST 
I take my dog hiking too. Most of the pictures on his page are from hikes. I live in the Colorado Rockies. The trails here are mostly very dog friendly and I have never had legal issues with my dog off-leash on them. Many of them are officially off-leash permissible. Wilderness areas are some of the areas where dogs are legally suppose to be restrained on a 6 foot leash.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 FDCH-G- TF3

Take That!

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 11:29am PST 
My guys absolutly love off leash hiking. Its one of the best options we have for conditioning and hike frequently in addition to off leash biking. Im pretty picky though about it because I prefer off leash areas and wont bother with a place that requires them to be on leash. I can walk my guys on leash anywhere, so whats the point?

Foxtails are horrible right now, so we've been doing more off leash biking than hiking until i can purchase one of thos foxtail net things that cover their heads and keeps them out.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 1:26pm PST 
I wish we had some off leash trails. The state parks here don’t even allow dogs, and the smaller regional parks all have leash laws. If the trails are pretty deserted I’ll just drop her leash and let it drag, so I’m still ‘technically’ obeying the leash law.

And yep, the foxtails are really bad. I can’t avoid them, even on walks through our neighborhood. Hate those things. Anyone else having a bad time with ticks this year? A couple weeks ago Abbey came back from a hike with more ticks than I’d ever seen in my life. I had to brush her with a flea comb, bathe her, and then brush her with the flea comb again.

Hey Moose! It’s Sonoma Co., the area west of Santa Rosa. I traveled through the east bay in April for a nosework event, and was amazed at how dry the grass was already. It stays greener much longer here, especially so close to the coast, but the scenery is otherwise very similar!
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 7:19am PST 
Kali Loves hiking. Her picture is at the summit of Dickey Welch, in the White Mountains. There are 2 more on her page at the bottom. I don't know how to post them on this thread. confused
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 5:55pm PST 
I took the pups (a pibble & a Cocker Spaniel) I'm pet-sitting on a hike today. Wasn't sure how they would do (both are seniors), but they loved it and were really excited to get out in the great outdoors!dog walk Ok...the Cocker pulls, but the pibble has a nice steady pace (slowest I ever walked). When we got back I gave them baths and pulled 30 ticks off the pibble, hopefully they were up-to-date on preventative (I know they have some), but I sent them a text to see if they need a dose just in case. The Cocker was running around the house when he was done with his bath, but now they are both knocked out sleeping.kitty The cat is too.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 4:36pm PST 
If you made sure you got every tick, they should be fine. The tick has to be attached for 48 hours to spread lime disease.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 11:12am PST 
Yeah, the owners had me give them a dose of preventative just in case, so any left should be dead by now at any rate.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2