GO!

Dog sulky. Does anyone know anything about these?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 6:06pm PST 
While looking around for a cart ( either a small one for Bunny or a bigger one for next dog) I found dog sulkies. This fascinates me because the dog can actually pull you instead of a load. It seems they way they are built takes some of the weight off the dog. I know that with carting a well conditioned dog can pull about 3 times it`s weight. I can`t seem to find out how much weight a dog can pull with a sulky. Does anyone know?

Edited by author Wed May 8, '13 6:34pm PST

[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 1:47pm PST 
I have a friend with a sulky and it is a lot of fun and great conditioning for her dogs. She let me take it out once for a ride - very smooth and it has a brake in case your dogs get into trouble. I have only ever seen people use sulkies with 2 or more dogs but I'm sure you could use just one dog. As far as I know, they only come in one size and are made for a larger dog (my friend has Belgians and a cattle dog. I dont know how much they could pull but the cart is made for one person and her dogs can easily pull for miles.

There is also,the dorsal hitch cart. It is like a cart but with a dorsal hitch like the sulky. At the last draft test I wasa t, there was a lady there using this cart for her Portie. She told me that the dorsal hitch takes about 10 pounds of weight off of the dog. In the DD test, the dog must pull 40 pounds and I don't think her dog weighed much more that that herself and she had no problem pulling that weight in the test.

There is also a regular hitch cart that has a passenger seat instead of a cart. So it has shafts like a regular cart but a seat like a sulky. They are not practical for anything but parades as they do not carry a load well.

As for what I dog can pull, a well conditioned, properly built dog should easily be able to pull 3 times his weight. I have never maxed Bosley out on weight but he can easily pull his own body weight up and down hills and over rough terrain. I imagine he would have no problem pulling 300 pounds on a flat, even surface if he was conditioned to it.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:28am PST 
Thanks Bosely smile It was the dorsal hitch I was talking about. The sulkies are quite expensive but I did see on the internet that you can use a bike frame to make onesmile
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 11:48pm PST 
There used to be some really nice websites for dog drafting/carting but I think a lot of them are not around anymore, unfortunately!

You can find some of the sites archived through here: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040610190821/http://www.cartingwith yourdog.com/

A properly balanced cart of any type should not really be putting weight ON the dog though.

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 11:49pm PST

[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 1:50pm PST 
Correct, Bianca - a balanced cart does not put weight on the dog, but the way the dorsal hitch cart is designed it actually has a bit of uplift, taking weight off the actual load. theoretically, a dog should be able to pull more weight in a dorsal hitch cart than in a shaft hitch cart. A dorsal hitch cart also has less of a learning curve for the dog as there are no shafts to get in the way of turns so the dog can make tighter turns without the hinderance of the shafts. In a normal cart the dog must learn to turn by crossing their feet over each other and pushing into the shaft of the turning side. In a dorsal hitch, the dog turns and the cart follows - no learning to maneuver turns.

Edited by author Sat May 11, '13 1:54pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 2:20pm PST 
Thanks Bosely you explained that to Bianca much better than I couldsmile The theoretical part is the part I was wondering about . Can a dog really pull more than 3 times its weight with dorsal hitch?
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 8:21pm PST 
Bunny, I think that when you start to get to much higher weights, it's really not going to make too much of a difference. For example a 40 pound dog with 40 pounds of weight in the cart will feel like she is pulling 30 pounds when using a dorsal hitch or a 25% reduction in weight. This is a significant reduction. A 40 pound dog pulling 120 pounds (3X body weight) will feel like she is pulling 110 pounds or a 9% reduction in weight. For a smaller sized dog that is probably not a significant enough amount to make a real difference.

You also need to remember that not all dogs are capable of pulling 3X their body weight. Some dogs just do not have the physical stature or soundness to pull such a heavy load, no matter the conditioning of type of cart. Dogs with an upright stance or extreme angulations will have a harder time than a dog with more moderate angles and a lower body stance. Terrain also makes a huge difference - pulling on flat pavement is much easier than pulling in grass, dirt or un-even terrain. If you are looking to pull a significant amount of weight you could look into brace carting - two dogs can pull more than one dog by itself.
[notify]