GO!

Funny obedience/agility stories

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ranger

Stranger Danger- Rescue Ranger is- ready!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:26am PST 
I'm thinking of starting obedience/agility with Ranger once he's been through some more lower level obedience and is ready. I used to show horses and remember all the times they made me look silly (or I made myself look silly) and was wondering what stories you guys have of your dogs doing ridiculous things or your missing a cue.

Let's here them!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:48am PST 
I was at a small club's event trying to finish Jewel's CKC PCD title and we had bombed the first day for small faults. The second day we're back and my friend is with me to watch and see what I'm doing wrong.

First time we go in the ring Jewel is a STAR! Everything is right on, she's paying attention to me and we get it done! It's her 3rd leg and I actually break down and cry in the ring when the judge gives us our ribbon because you have no idea how much work it was to get even that small title with Jewel.

Because of the schedule we're back in the ring 30 minutes later under the other judge and Jewel is a BUM!! She doesn't even seem to know her own name and can't do ANYTHING right. I am beyond mortified, the judge actually tells me I need to work on her!! Work on wringing her little neck is what I think!

My friend is laughing herself silly outside the ring.

Over a year later I'm at this club again for a seminar and someone there rememebers me as the woman with the little black dog that didn't listen at the OB trials.

We also tried to do the next level but during the group stays a young golden next to Jewel had apparently neven seen a small dog before and kept leaning over at her. She was the only small dog in there by a long shot, I think the next smallest dog still had 30lbs on her. She broke every single time to get away from that dog and one time just got up and sat beside the dog on her other side.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:19am PST 
LOL It would be easier to list the times that are not funny and/or embarrassing!

We always joke that if you need a break and a good laugh when at a show go and watch rally advanced if the ring has the offset figure 8 sign. There is always a dog that is determined to get the food in the bowl and another that plays soccer with the bowls.

We have had dogs do beautiful recalls or retrieves back to the judge instead of the handler. Dog that for some reason stop working to howl at the invisable moon. Dogs that do lovely fronts by flipping their owners shirts or skirts up a little too high.
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:20am PST 
Had Nestle, our terrier/sheltie, at an ob trial working on her UCD-X. She could be a grouch. So, it's pretty early in the a.m. and she was grumpy to be up... muttering the whole time... definitely acting like she could use another cup of coffee. OK, so we get into the ring. She's fine. We get to the drop-on-recall... recall, good; drop, good; recall... she looks at me, gets up and just walks out of the ring at a rather sedate pace back to her crate. Sigh... dog - 1, handler - 0?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:45am PST 
I've got an out of ring story about Jewel too. We were at a trial and I was going to get lunch from the vendor and my friend offered to hold Jewel for me. I had been walking around for like an hour with Jewel tucked under my arm like a towel.

Now my friend has goldens, several of them, loads of titles on all of them in confirmation, OB and field, she's not new to dogs. But I guess seeing Jewel hang from my arm so peacefully made her think she'd be easy to look after.

Sad thing is Jewel was an adult rescue and she doesn't like being appart from me in strange places because she thinks I'm never coming back. So I'm standing in the line and look over, there's my friend with a beautiful golden sitting calmly at her side and Jewel thrashing wildly in her arms while people stare. My friend in an effort not to get clawed holds Jewel up like the lion cub in the Lion King and Jewel's still fighting for all she's worth. Of course my friend is sitting RING SIDE.

When I finally got back to them, I must have been gone a full 3 or 4 minutes by then Jewel throws herself at me making little cries of relief. My friend has never offered to hold her again.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:30pm PST 
Although it’s never happened to me at a trial, if you do agility for any length of time you will eventually trip and fall while running. I’ve seen a few pretty spectacular wipe outs, people landing on their faces or taking out the equipment as they go by.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:32pm PST 
Oh my...I am deep in stories due to my wonderful Mags!

She has had zoomies in every single venue we have competed in (rally, obedience, and agility). Her first rally zoomie was during our 2nd foray into Excellent (so she was plenty used to being off leash in the rally ring) - we were about halfway through the course when we were doing a left pivot and the next thing I know Maggie bolted during the next bit of heeling, she picked up a cone and bounced around the ring play bowing at the judge and me. We still managed a Q (with a lower score), but it was super cute!

In Maggie's second ever long down in obedience it was at an outdoor trial. Well Mags was enjoying the sunshine a bit much and decided to give into the urge to roll. She stayed in her down, but somehow managed to move forward about 5 feet while rolling around. None of the other dogs were close enough to her for her to disturb them (we were on the edge).

Maggie also had the cutest recall in our last foray into the obedience ring. She came flying out of her sit and ran up to me, didn't sit, and then backed up 6 feet and sat. I was laughing pretty hard and the judge was definitely smirking.

Agility has had plenty of silly things. Maggie is a zoomer if I don't give her a job before her first run of the day. She also has jumped over tunnels, picked up cones, rolled while in a down at the start line, pooped on course, and even hacked up a cookie on the teeter. She also has had some silly gamble accomplishments by "out"ing too far lol!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 2:05pm PST 
At Bailey's first agility trial he jumped through the ring gate (aaahhh the benefits of being small) after he noticed a piece of chicken on the ground outside the ring and had a snack.

At a recent CPE trial there was a dog who grabbed the gamble line tape in his mouth during Jackpot and started shaking it wildly then zooming around the general area with it in his mouth. The trial had a short intermission while they had to make a new line.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 3:34pm PST 
Where do I start? laugh out loud

At an agility trial one of the judges was a Bernese breeder. She saw us run (under a different judge) and then came to our benching area to talk and to visit Bolsey. Bosley loved her of course, and our first run under her (where I was trying to make a good impression), Bosley kept looking for her. I sent him up the teeter and he was so busy gazing at the nice judge that he walked right off the side of the teeter. His expression was priceless and then he tried to jump back on the teeter as it was tipping back up.

Before you read this next story, realize that there is nothing more important to Bosley than food:

We were once at an obedience trial that had crating very close around the perimeter of the ring. We were having a great start to our Open OB run and when we got to our retrieves I felt very confident because that is one of Bosley's strongest exercises. I threw the dumbbell and sent Bosley out. He trotted straight to his dumbbell, dropped his head to pick it up and then he stopped. His head came up and he started air scenting. My gaze followed the direction his nose was taking him and on a crate just outside of the ring barrier was a huge open ziplock bag of treats. I called him back to me but it was too late - he spotted the treats and took off straight for the crate, jumping the ring barrier. Luckily, the owner of the treats saw what was going on and grabbed them before Bosley could get them. Since Bolsey couldn't get those treats, he ran straight back to our benching area to see if he could find treats in his training bag. This whole time I am still standing in the middle of the ring ( I didn't know what to do) and the ring steward was chasing Bosley around the outside of the ring trying to catch him. Bolsey finally realized that I was calling him and he jumped back over the ring gates and came to sit beside me in heel position looking very proud of his efforts.

They certainly do keep us humble.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 4:08pm PST 
We had just qualified our BH a week before when I got this amazing idea to enter that practice trial in obedience - five minutes before that class started. I mean, it cannot be that difficult. Yet our fail was epic.

Alva scored 10 in down stay. Well, if I trust her to lie who knows how long while another dog does their heeling and my back is turned to them, down stay face to face with the handler in a row is no problem. So that move was perfect.

Then it was time to heel. On leash it resembled our sunday walks. Off leash Alva lagged and I stumbled on my feet. It was so far from our clockwork heelings in BH. Alva ran off the ring at least twice. Straight to my father. In BH I had to tell her sit while heeling and then repeat but ask her to lie down. In obedience I had to ask her to stand and well, I can't remember if it was sit or down. Positions from heeling was not our strengths. We had practiced stand very little. And I did not remember that the positions are different. Alva actually lied down in both moves in BH and in this practice obedience trial she was pretty confused. Come when called went ok, we lost one point for cosmetics.
Our last move was jump. I forgot to ask what Alva should do after it because I apparently do not know obedience rules that well. I remembered that I had to ask it when she had already jumped. Because she got no command, she decided to run to my father again.

Poor Alva. It was all my fault. I was not concentrating in the ring when I had decided to participitate so suddenly and because I did not know where I was going Alva could not get enough cues from me and was so confused. I think she ran to my father to ask sanctuary.

Well, my story is not that funny. But I think there is a lesson for me. It's not only the dog that has to be prepared for a trial. Actually, such dog as Alva goes as far as the handler can lead her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2