GO!

The Importance of Mental Control in Dog Sports

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:04pm PST 
Many competitors don't realize how important the mental game is in the fast moving dog sports today. I thought I'd post two of my articles in a series on Mental Control and Dog Sports. What do you guys think?

Here is the first article on how to build focus.

Here is an article on how music can help your mental game.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 5:56am PST 
Very enlightening. I really enjoyed the entry on music since we compete in canine freestyle dance. We're lucky enough to get the music playing while we are out there in the ring. smile I tend to pick songs for freestyle that get me moving and motivated AND make me think about my dog and our journey together. Perhaps I was doing us a favor in the competition ring without even knowing it!
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:00pm PST 
I was "talking" with a Freestyle friend of mine on FB about this very topic. You Freestylers are lucky to be able to take your music into the ring. smile Apparently studies show that's a great brain booster for you!!
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:05pm PST 
Great articles! I love going back and putting a soundtrack to video of my dog, hadn't thought of having a playlist before performance. Although, now that you mention it Risa, I think the freestyle class we took, it was easier to work to music . . .. certainly it was fun and relaxing doing our routine to music for the last class vs. other stuff we've competed in!

Everybody has their own music tastes, but I tend toward instrumental stuff, like anthemic movie themes--"Last of the Mohicans", "For a Few Dollars More" or older jazz and swing, like "Sing, sing, sing" or "Tiger Rag" . . .
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:53am PST 
I would have to say that I never really considered how much help music could be for dogs. I always thought they worked for humans, although sometimes most people would contradict that same idea. So I'll be picking up a playlist for Peggy and hopefully she'll get her mental control going for her. I'm thinking of going with the classical songs, or the instrumental ones.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 5:48pm PST 
What's nice about performing with music, too, is that it helps you remember where you're supposed to be and what you're supposed to be doing. smile You can still forget when the nerves get to you but it's a lot easier to keep your place!
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:18pm PST 
Thanks everyone. smile This weekend during an agility trial, my mind was fuzzy, so I went to the car and played some tunes. It was amazing to feel my mind sharpen up and become focused. I tried to carry those tunes in my mind to the ring.

It's amazing how our brains are wired. smile
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:35am PST 
There was a nice article in Clean Run some months ago about using T'ai Chi in agility. _I_ find that useful for relaxation and for focus and for balance.
[notify]