GO!

Iditarod dog buried alive in snow.

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 6:40am PST 
The cause of death for a dog that died while at a checkpoint during the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race has been determined as "asphyxiation as the result of being buried by snow in severe wind conditions," race officials said Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/helpsleddogs
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:05am PST 
True shame :o(

However, I've worked in Alaska for a Champion musher and helped him equip himself and get the dogs ready for the Iditarod and I don't really like that Facebook page...

I can assure you, from first hand experience that the dogs that run the Iditarod are extremely healthy and loved... They have to be. The vet checks, tests and evaluations the dogs have to go through before they even qualify for the race is insane!

The dog that died had been pulled from the race, therefore, I assume that it must have been cared for enough for the musher to pull the dog from the race...

I was at every check point throughout the Iditarod waiting for the musher (I won't name him) and he made sure the dogs were fed, watered, warm and in perfect health before he himself would even eat... We used to re-tape the dogs feet, which took over an hour before we could rest...

I could go on forever! The dog's death is tragic but I can only imagine the state the musher must be in too. They truly love their dogs... And that's from first hand experience.

The only thing I didn't like, was the dogs living most of their lives on chains... But their welfare and health is always paramount...

It's the same with any sport involving animals... Their is always people that are against it and think it's cruel.
[notify]
Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:31am PST 
I've been involved in sled dog sports for 15 years. I've handled for/lived with numerous Iditarod and Yukon Quest mushers, including a multiple champion musher in Alaska. I'm a representative for the Sled Dog Action Coalition and have tabled for the organization in Albany. Humane mushing is fine. The Iditarod, and much of professional racing, is inhumane. There are too many accepted cruelties in this sport. How sled dogs are housed is just one of them.

You can visit my personal page at Break The Chains - Save The Sled Dogs for more of my personal experiences.

I encourage you to speak out about the atrocities that you no doubt witnessed. You are not alone. What you saw was not okay. Please speak for the dogs who cannot speak for themselves. I was recently interviewed for a new animal rights book by author Mark Hawthorne. I'm glad that he will be discussing some of the atrocities I witnessed at Iditarod, Quest and other racing kennels.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 9:18am PST 
Well, I must have missed the cruel handling of the dogs!

It's the same taboo'd subject as horse racing...

The dogs I worked with lived for racing... They loved it and they were cared for so much better than some pets I've seen...

They were fed the best food, giving the best vet care, three hours of exercise a day, comfortable shelter and so much training... They were very happy dogs!

They were the complete athletic working dog package...

I will not speak out because what I witnessed, was not cruel... I even helped to housetrain and get the older dogs ready for living in a house so that when they retired, they could be found loving homes...

Dog fighting, fox hunting, bull baiting... That's cruel! Dogs doing what they were bred to do?... Not cruel IMO....

Sometimes tragic things happen, that's inevitable and sad... But those dogs are everything to thir mushers, let's not forget that!
[notify]
Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 9:20am PST 
No one chains someone who "means everything to them" outside among tens of hundreds of others. Accepted husbandry practices are cruel, and that is part of the problem with the sport is that so many people accept it as the norm.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 9:25am PST 
But then again, there may have been a lot I missed... Being British, I could only stay there for six months (one racing season)...

I didn't like the chains but I gave all the dogs as much love and cuddles as I could, every day... Probably to make me feel better about the chains...

I haven't looked at your website yet, but I will...

If the cruelty you saw is true, then I'm sorry I missed it and keep up the good work.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 9:53am PST 
Okay, I've had a look....

All those pictures are horendous!

I'm very glad that the musher I worked for was a lot different to the mushers you worked for... I was eighteen when I went to Alaska and I don't think I could have coped with the cruelty you obviously encountered :o(

I'm sorry for jumping down your throat, you obviously have a lot more experience than me and have witnessed a lot more than I did...

I worked for a great musher who I idolised at the time... I worked tirelessly for 16 hours a day, all for the sake of the dogs and the only thing I didn't like were the chains... There was no starving dogs, no cold dogs and no ill dogs... I had to go around the kennels four times a day giving the dogs more straw for their kennels (which were very well made, outdoor, spacious and weatherproof), I visited the slaughterhouse that the musher used to get tripe and barrels of blood for the dogs, I fed them personally every morning and every night (very good quality kibble), replaced worn heat mats in the kennels, and swapped frozen water bowls for nice fresh, clean ones numerous times a day - real stainless steel dog bowls... I helped deliver a litter of dogs in a heated garage ( I used to hide in there for five minutes at a time with the puppies and their mum, not only because they were cute but because it was so warm lol)... I walked round the dogs with the vet and helped administer treatments and learn what to worry about and what not to worry about as well as how to help worm the dogs and care for their feet. I used to go through every booty one by one looking for holes or worn patches and throw them out... We even used to groom the dogs lol... Not properly but more to have a good feel around for something that may be not right... Don't even get me started on pooper scooping lol... Like I said before too, I even helped re-train dogs that were about to retire, to become house pets puppy

Now, I'm glad I witnessed the good side... God knows how I would have coped with cruelty at that age and so far from home :o(

Edited by author Sun Mar 17, '13 9:56am PST

[notify]
Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 10:06am PST 
I was 17 when I moved to Minnesota to work for an Iditarod/Quest kennel. 75 dogs at the time. Sun-up to sun-down handler duties.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 1:17pm PST 
There are idiots in every sport, in every profession, in any discipline around the globe. To slam an entire industry as a result of one loser is foolish and narrow minded. I have worked with race horses and show jumpers, event horses, pack dogs, patrol/protection dogs and show dogs. For every one person exploiting the animals there are 10 doing it for love.
Age tends to put things in perspective. I would love to lounge on my couch all day but I wasn't born wealthy so I go to work. I would love to have a couple hundred dogs around but I don't now anyone except a musher that could pulll that off and still have happy, healthy dogs. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if all those dogs ran loose? I can tell you honestly that I remember being a kid and walking a yearly Standardbred filly around the edge of the training track. She was livid when the horses being worked passed her, she wanted to go. Racing, the desire to compete is bred into them. Have you ever watched a dog team run? Don't tell me they aren't happy. These dogs are born to run, they love what they do and if one individual musher is an issue go after that person, not the industry. Rest assured most performance and work animals are well cared for. They have to be, they bring home the paychecks. Horse racing is a much maligned sport as well and certainly there are cruelties, but Thoroughbreds were born to run, so weeding out the human virus is whats needed not a ban on the sport.
[notify]
Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 1:44pm PST 
I've been involved in sled dog sports for 15 years. I don't want to ban mushing. I support humane mushing. Unfortunately, the majority of mushers are not humane. There is no reason - other than greed - to have more dogs than you can happily and safely keep in your home.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2