GO!

When to start Pre-Agility in 4-H?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Suka

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:28pm PST 
Minnesota 4-H Dog Project starts May 6th. But pre-agility does start until June. Right now Suka is 11 months old and by June she will be 15 months when it starts. I know that puppies shouldnt start agility until 12 months and it is recommended for large breed dogs to wait till 18 months. Pre-agility consists of a few jumps and a table. Could I show Suka in pre-agility but show her at a low jump height? Or should I wait till she is 18 months and show her in the 2014 season?

Thanks!
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:18pm PST 
I started Bosley (a large breed) in agility when he was about 7 months old. There is nothing wrong with learning foundation skills/flatwork when your dog is young as long as both you and your instructor understand the limitations of a young, large breed dog. Your dog should be old enough to do some low jumping (no higher than elbow height) or jump bumps, but I wouldn't start weaves or full contact equiptment for a few more months. You can do lots of other agility related things such as body awareness exercises, crosses on the flat, motivation exercises, conditioning, target work, excell/decel exercises . . . The list is endless. The most important thing is to be aware of what your dog should be doing at her age and don't be afraid to sit out of certain exercises,or work on something different than the rest of your class, if you don't feel comfortable with what is being practiced.
[notify]
Suka

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:49pm PST 
Thank you. I found place that does agility foundation classes that I might sign her up once her broken toe heals.
[notify]