GO!

Showing too early in agility

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4  

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:56pm PST 
Hear, hear! I want to see more happy dogs in the ring!
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:20pm PST 
The only problem with bringing a "green" dog to a trial is that not all trials will allow unentered dogs on the grounds. It's always great to check first.

I know I didn't push Risa into the ring too early. If anything, I waited a long time because I knew she wasn't ready. And then I picked something I knew she loved and a venue that was very small. Even with that, she's had really bad days in the ring.

In fact, her last AKC trial was a bust. She was extremely out of it and wandering about the ring on the first day. The second day, she ran off on me during the 3rd sign. I took it as a wake up call that I needed to get her back into classes where she would be exposed to a more trial-like environment rather than just training at home. It's been 4 months of classes since and there has been some improvement. I still wanted more focus from her, though.

We trialed over the weekend (C-WAGS rally) and she was better. Not great still but some moments of brilliance showed through. What was most important was that we both had FUN. Actual fun!

We had rally class on Wednesday and her attitude was visibly brighter. I had her attention and she was acting much more like the dog I know and love. Now if we can just keep it up for our next trial in 3 weeks!

Edited by author Thu May 23, '13 7:22pm PST

[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 9:56pm PST 
Thanks for the continued comments. smile

Just a note, while some premiums (the posting information about the trial) will state that unentered dogs aren't allowed at the trial site, in my 15 years of experience, I have never at an agility venue seen anyone "check" dogs as they enter the site to see if they are entered or not. The general feeling is that dogs that are being "proofed" and prepared for competition are more than welcome to come visit the trial site as long as they are on leash and well-behaved. Do learn trial etiquette before attending though - such as don't let your dog sniff other dogs, don't stand right by the ring, avoid the ring gates, etc. smile
[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4