GO!

Showing too early in agility

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 12:12pm PST 
This is one of my articles hot off the press, and it may generate quite a few comments. smile Most people show too early in agility, and I've seen the same problem in other sports. What do you guys think? When is a team ready for the uber stress of the show ring?

Is Your Agility Team Ready to Trial?: The Pitfalls of Competing too Early
[notify]
Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

this is the good- life

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 4:07pm PST 
a good article i have seen this a few time at shows and unfourtanetly in my enthusiasm(sp) did this with opal in obedience and have regretted it ever since just happy i realized it before it was to late
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 4:16pm PST 
It's such an easy mistake to fall into. I'm so glad you recognized it with Opal and fixed it. Good for you!!! cheer
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 5:57pm PST 
I was pushed into it with Cobain.
He learns exceedingly quickly and became good, fast.
So the trainer opted to push me ahead a few levels. BAD IDEA

Problem is, as good as Cobain was, I was still very inexperienced - and still feel so to this day.

He was ready, my handling was NOT.

Handler error, after handler error, he was noticing it too.
I went back to classes and took a break from trialing for a while.

I will not be making the same mistakes with Rigby!
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:02pm PST 
We always learn on our first dogs. Yes, one of the issues is some instructors push people too quickly, and your story is very common. It's good you learned from it, though, as I know of many who never did. Your next dog will benefit from your education. smile
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 12:51pm PST 
Good article, Aslan!

The last few trials I’ve attended I was cringing a bit at some of the stuff I was seeing in the ring (and not always the Novice ring either!) More than a few dogs and handlers who were lacking very, very basic foundation skills and were frustrated and struggling.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:16pm PST 
I didn't realize it was such an issue. Every once in a blue moon I see someone with a young dog who just isn't into the sport yet, but the vast majority of novice competitors are happy and enthusiastic about the game. I'm a perfectionist, so I prefer to be over prepared for competition rather than under... and I still had trouble getting through starters. Though, that was my fault, not my dog's. Most of the time.
[notify]
Xx Sabrina- Selene xX

The American- Bully Goddess

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:43pm PST 
Great article
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 9:08pm PST 
Thanks guys!! big grin I think the issue is more of a concern in some regions than in others. The agility instructors in a region very much influence things like this, handling styles, etc. In some areas, it's a very hot topic.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 1:01pm PST 
Hmm, I’m in CA, which is like a dog sport mecca. Everybody and their uncle are offering agility classes, even if they’ve never trialed or titled a dog. On the flip side, though, we also have a lot well known, successful, and very experienced instructors around- so good training is available if you do your homework.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4