GO!

Keeping a dog calm at trials

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:08pm PST 
Try CPE agiltiy as well if you haven't. I do both CPE and AKC, and CPE is a lot more laid back and fun I think. I do enjoy AKC, but CPE has a better atmosphere I believe. Very friendly people especially to us 'newbies' I see you are in Ohio.. where have you trialed? I am in Ohio as well smile
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 6:34am PST 
I plan on doing mostly CPE. I like the courses of AKC, but it's just a little too stressful for me to want to do all the time. I went to trials before I was actually trialing and there's a huge difference in the atmosphere of a CPE and an AKC trial. It seems like some of the advanced handlers look down on the novice handlers in AKC.

I live near Dayton so we've been to Crossroads Canine Club and the Springfield AKC trials this past weekend hosted by Dayton Dog Training and then the one next month by Gem City. We're also going to Clermont County at the beginning of March. I also go to either Dayton Dog Training or Queen City for Fri night run thrus.
[notify]
Tika RS-E- JS-E GS-E RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:08am PST 
CPE is fantastic! Same atmosphere across the country from what I have found too! Part of the reason is that there are typically only 50 or so competitors there vs the mass amounts in AKC (more classes a day per dog equals less dogs and people). I enjoy CPE and that was why I opted to use it for my young girl's debut vs USDAA lol!
[notify]

MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 1:54pm PST 
I was at Springfield last weekend too! That was our second time there, and Bailey does tend to get a little stressy in that venue, even though he's fine in other big trials. I guess there's something about that facility....

I've sent in my entry for the March Crossroads trial. Maybe we'll see you there.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:50pm PST 
Bailey-I've noticed other dogs getting stressed there that don't get stressed in trials so maybe it is the facility. I'm hoping Shadow won't be so bad at the end of Feb.

I'll look for you at Crossroads trial.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 4:18pm PST 
Well Shadow has a really bad UTI or something(woke up to bloody urine all over the floor) and I think it's from him not going to the bathroom at the trial those 2 days(even though they were separated by a day). frown How do I get him to go to the bathroom at trials?
[notify]

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:49pm PST 
Oh no, poor guy! I hope you get it cleared up quickly. I've never dealt with this so I don't have any real advice. How is he with drinking at trials? Maybe if you encouraged him to drink more, he'd be more likely to take care of business. I've resorted to sprinkling crumbs of freeze dried meat into Bailey's water to encourage him to drink at trials when I don't think he's keeping hydrated or use a water additive like http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product _ID=996&ParentCat=183

I've gotten word tonight that I'm wait listed for Crossroads. Hopefully I make it in.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:15pm PST 
Eep! UTI's are no fun. I will usually put something in the water that my dogs love - mine seem to adore meat broths, so if they aren't drinking I mix some of that into the water. I figure what goes in will come out. I do a lot of walking and waiting for my boy dog to bathroom while at trials. When I first got him I didn't do much work on "on lead" bathrooming skills...he will do it - it just takes about half an hour of sniffing every bush and wandering around in circles trying to find the perfect place. Owning Porter makes me thankful that my girls will both pee on command (and if they don't I take it they don't have to go).
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 11:45am PST 
I hope so too. Thinking of dropping him from the Feb AKC trial since I don't need him getting another one in a couple of weeks. He was drinking water, but he's never been one to drink a lot. I'm adding some wet food to his meals now to help that though. I walked him around for an hr and he still refused to pee. He's perfectly fine when he knows where he is, but he was in a new place and pretty stressed.

Bailey if you end up getting into CCC's trial PM me and then I will make sure I look for you. The last trial they had lots of people drop their entries down to only a few runs or completely dropped out of the trial so hope you get in.
[notify]

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 1:59pm PST 
Will do! way to go I hope we do make it in.

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 2:10pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3