GO!

Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 4 of 9: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Abby

Anna's Dark- Angel

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 11:32am PST 
I compete with my rescue pup in agility. We actually only recently started competing and did 2 USDAA intro trials last year the first being after about 6 months of classes and it was just a complete joke lol. I took her for the experience and we had fun but it as all so distracting for her and she was just weee... and not there, but despite that she did ok and her 2nd trial was sooo much better. We didn't Q but it was for little mistakes mainly my fault and she got distracted during gamblers and went off sniffing right before we did the gamble.

So we've got a few trials planned this year(the first is next month!) and hopefully we'll get some titles.
[notify]
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

You can't say- that i can't- play!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 2:17pm PST 
I know tons and tons and tons of rescue dogs that have been world champions/national champions in frsibee (up until the last two years there were no level titles... just regional/national/world titles in different venues). Wallace the pitbull was a rescue and multiple national champion, Ron Watson has had a handful rescues who have been national/world champions, Tracy Custer has a few world/national champions that are rescues... the list in frisbee could go on. I would venture a guess that there are more rescue dogs at teh top of the game in frisbee than purpose bred dogs. There ARE PLENTY of well-bred champs out there, but tons of rescues.

Shayne competed in frisbee for years with some competition wins and placements (up until recently there were no titles--and there are only titles i one venue so far). She also has her RL1 with a RAE--in her very first trial she was one point away from a perfect score in one of her runs and 2 points away in another. She'll keep trialing in APDT Rally because SHE likes to work and there are actually trials available as opposed to frisbee where there aren't competitions around. I'd LOVE to try CWAGS if it gets local.

Rio has his RL1 with RAE in APDT Rally and has his CL1 in CPE agility. He'll keep going on in agility since he likes agility way more than Rally at this stage in his life.

I am the least competitive person I know so competing is the most challenging part for me because I don't really like it but based on their performances I think both Shayne and Rio LIKE having an audience LOL!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 2:59pm PST 
I am pretty sure you selected Rio with training in mind. From a rescue, and if memory serves the search was patient? Would you go to your shelter at any stage for a prospect? Or is foster (and fostering) info important to you in selection?

If someone was interested in what you do and wanted some guidance, let's say they we asking about breeders and such, would you say shelters are another resource? Would you tell them what to look for? If so, what?

Thanks!
[notify]

Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:57pm PST 
My next dog will certainly be obtained with competition in mind. I'm having way too much fun training, aiming high, and competing to ever get a "stay at home" dog. smile

I'm sort of unsure where my next dog will come from. I'm considering both rescue and a solid breeder and each for various reasons. However, at this time, I am leaning more towards rescue. Mainly because I don't believe this is the right time to add a puppy. I'm not sure I have the time to dedicate to raising a pup right now. Risa's age is also a factor. She is 9 (not that she acts like it AT ALL) and I don't want to have a huge age gap between her and my second dog. I also almost need a dog "ready to go" in regards to physical maturity so I can get him in the ring ASAP. I have no plans of retiring Risa any time soon but one never knows what could happen. I want to have a dog waiting in the wings.

I also am coming to the conclusion that I'm not sure I have a specific breed I'm looking for. More a type of dog I like. This type can be found in purebreds but it's just as likely to show up in a mixed breed crazy thing at the shelter. I really like lurchers (both Risa and Rio have enamored me with the herding/sighthound cross) but finding them is difficult. I know there are people out there breeding whippet/herding crosses (like border whipps) but most are emphasizing flyball and I worry that I would end up with a dog with more pizzazz than I'm looking for. I WANT drive but I need a calm head to go with it.

I also have to be picky in finding a second dog due to Risa's issues. She's far better than she ever was but she really needs a dog who is a good listener and not too much for her. Rescue seems a better option in this case because they have a better idea of who their dogs are in various situations and with other dogs.

I currently foster for a local rescue and I'm sort of hoping that, when the time is right, they'll have a dog I'm interested in keeping. Then I'll foster him, see if it works out, and become a foster failure. big grin
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:23pm PST 
My agility instructor has a rescue dog with his ADCH, and I believe some OB titles as well.

Of no determinable breed, just a cool little mutt.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:26pm PST 
Lenny is a rescue and we're hoping to trial sometime this year with the hopes to receive his Nosework 1 title. He should've got it last year but finances and my schedule didn't permit. Hopefully the new year proves better luck! A lot of the dogs in our nose work classes were rescues as well, especially since it's a perfect sport for shy or reactive dogs. I don't think Lenny has the kind of focus or desire to really do anything else; I thought about trying agility with him but since his off lead handling is a little sketchy sometimes I'm holding off on trying that. But I think he'd be bored with Obedience. I feel he'd do it, but wouldn't really enjoy it and we all know its about finding what our dogs enjoy to do so they can really shine.

My other boy is a shelter dog, and I think he'd do well in Rally since he's so focused on me. We're working on just basic stuff for right now... but I think once I 'unlock' the door to his thinking brain we'll be having loads of fun.
[notify]
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

You can't say- that i can't- play!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:27am PST 
Rio was definitely adopted specifically with sports in mind and was a relatively long search to find exactly the dog I wanted (and making sure I was in a place in my life financially to afford two dogs). I lucked out because I put an application in on a GORGEOUS red merle BC/Aussie puppy but they denied my application because I lived in an apartment and two months later I found Rio.

I think you can get sport/performance prospects from EITHER a shelter or a foster (or of course an ethical breeder) but you have to know what you are looking for (or hire an experience trainer or ask a sport person to help you pick a puppy) so you can do your darnedest to find a dog with potential (an ethical/experienced breeder should be able to do a big piece of this themselves). The benefit to a QUALITY foster home is they can help give you a clue if the dog shows any athleticism, drive, energy, trainability etc. What you see in a shelter environment is not always who the dog REALLY is but talking to a foster who has seen them in a home environment for a while can be insightful.

When 'evaluating' rio at his foster home, I checked out his structure (which was a bit of a crack-shoot when looking at a funny shaped 4.5 month old puppy--they are all sorts of wonky), I manipulated his body seeing if I could feel anything wonky and checking for range of motion (again, at 4.5 months old this was a crack-shoot since they are growing but i didn't feel anything that made a red flag go off), I checked out his willingness to let me handle him and his reaction to handling, I took note of his desire to interact with me and his foster mom--was he looking to engage with her or me, was he checking in if we walked away. I also watched him play with his sibling and a resident dog and got lots of insights--he was athletic and even at his age was quite coordinated, he was about as fearless as they come when playing with his sister zipping and zooming and flipping over her (she was very timid), he was pushy and a bit obnoxious (which i do like), he was pretty drivey (he knew what he wanted and was focused on getting what he wanted and wouldn't stop for nothing until he got it), there was TERRIFYING moment when his jaw got caught in his sister's collar and all hell broke loose... he bounced back after the trauma relatively quickly considering how scary it was (for EVERYONE). I also brought a few toys to see what is interest in toys was like.. he chased rollers, picked up the disc, was INSANE for a mini-flirt pole type toy (big picture of driveyness and pushiness) .... yet watched him settle and relax afterwards.

The important pieces for me was SOME toy drive (it didn't have to be much because I can build toy drive), I wanted a dog who WANTED to interact with a person, I wanted a dog who was pushy and a bit obnoxious (so i could cultivate that pushy/obnoxious behavior into a good directoin), I wanted a confident and very socially savvy dog, and wanted a dog I felt would WANT to work and would put his/her heart into the work (drive).

And part of it was just luck of the draw that everything I saw at the foster home was what i got in my home (except tehy said he was quiet and never barked... yeah right!).
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 7:31pm PST 
Not competing yet here, but we're slowly working on her agility so she can. She came from a breed specific rescue. I didnt look for a sport dog but knew i wanted a dog i could do something with. I've had her less than a year, so still getting us to a place where we won't embarrass ourselves when we trial! laugh out loud Miyu has tremendous drive and loves working, she's an athletic beast who's whipcrack smart. I'm the one holding her back, not the other way around. She does have a great offswitch.

The next thing i plan on working on with her is nosework. Im waiting for when our agility instructor opens up a class time we can join. She did a little aptitude test for that and by all reports did great, so im looking forward to it. She's really just your classic gsd. All around worker bee.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:46pm PST 
My rescue dog and I just got two more Q's tonight! We are just one Q away from our C-WAGS Starter Rally title (CW-SR) and one Q from our C-WAGS Level 1 Games title (CW-G1)! Can't wait!
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:49am PST 
Congratulations, Sarah!
Rigby, can't wait to hear how it's going with your first foray!

All these stories are so inspirational!!! blue dogcheercloud 9
  (Page 4 of 9: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9