GO!

Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:30pm PST 
Oh! Thanks to the Aussies for that name! It will be very helpful!

Here is what I've dug up so far on very high achieving dogs in agility (MACH would be an endless list, lol!)

#1 ranked all time Boxer, and highest ranking work dog at the '06 AKC Nationals, was rescue dog Celtic Gold Huntress.

2012 12" winner of the AKC Agility Invitational was rescued Poodle, Lilly.

Two time Agility Victor at the GSD National Speciality and all time top scoring agility male for the breed (may have been toppled, I am checking, lol) is rescued GSD Draven.

Highest titled agility dog in AKC history, and also the first to attain MACH10, was rescue Keeshond, Molly!

Active large dog agility winner in 2012 Incredible Dog Challenge (national network tv audience!) was rescued Border Collie, Fl'n.
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 3:10pm PST 
Lola is a rescue and competes in agility, at the excellent level. Lots of dogs in AKC and USDAA are rescue dogs and do quite well. I would love to see a rescue that pulled only high drive sport prospects, because it is so common for those types to do really badly in shelters.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 3:30pm PST 
Tiller -
Honestly, I'm not sure what happened when it came to getting Rigby.

I knew I would be moving out in the near future when I started looking for Rigby. I also knew that Cobain would be coming with me, but Oz would stay with my parents. So I was looking to get a companion to Cobain to help the move go a little smoother for him. - But I didn't want a puppy.

My criteria for a dog didn't actually include sports really.
I wanted a female just smaller than Cobain, and was a herding breed/mix. (Though that in itself I suppose leads to a sporty type dog)
One that looked like she could keep up with him in the woods, but would serve as a playmate to Oz (Cobain doesn't play).

I sifted through Petfinder for months, but no dog really "stood out" and those that did were too far away and wouldn't adopt to me because of that.

Then I saw the ears.
And suddenly everything else melted into the background. That was my dog, I didn't care about her temperament or what she found "fun" I was going to do whatever it took to integrate this dog into my household.
The shelter didn't know much about her, she was a stray, "might" be good at agility, maybe 3 years old?, barker, untrustworthy off leash (as she was a stray afterall), not a very people oriented dog....
She was mine.

Not entirely sure what it was about her, but I had wool over my eyes. Nothing that could have been said or done was going to deter me at that point. It worked out quite well for the both of us thankfully

cloud 9
[notify]

Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:08pm PST 
Sumo is a rescue. I got him involved with Agility to increase his confidence...and it worked...too well laugh out loud big laugh

He has his novice jumpers title. By the time he earned it...he was no longer the shy, quivering little dog he was at first. He was now a Very confident fellow...who can make ANY person or dog fall in love with him. Seriously, he is now fearless when it comes to meeting and greeting people and dogs of ANY size.

I have a friend here in my town who run only rescues. She had a pug/chi mix who was an incredible Agility dog with too many titles to list. Poor Daisy Mae passed of old age last year...but she has other dogs she is training in Agility as well. All very good.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:21pm PST 
Risa is a rescue and we compete in rally, freestyle dance, and enjoy lure coursing. I got her from a shelter when she was 2.5 years old but we didn't start competing until she was about 6.

She has her RA (Rally Advanced) title in AKC rally and one leg towards her Excellent title. She also has her RL1 (Rally Level 1) title in APDT/Cyanosport rally. Risa earned her CA (Coursing Ability Test) with 3 lure coursing runs and also courses for fun whenever we can. She also has her W-FDM/MF (WCFO Freestyle Dog Master/Musical Freestyle: Intermediate title) in freestyle. I'm hoping to get her Advanced/Championship title in freestyle this year along with her RE (Rally Excellent) in AKC rally. Hopefully we'll be able to start in a couple new venues like maybe C-WAGS rally and Rally FrEe.

I know several other rescue dogs who compete. Several who have high-level titles in APDT/Cyanosport rally. I know others who have titles in AKC agility and CPE agility.

I did adopt Risa with the hopes of competing in dog sports specifically agility. After starting training classes with her, I wanted to try something besides basic life skills and signed up for a class in canine freestyle. She was a natural and so that became our sport of choice. We were never able to get into agility and, now that she's older, it'll never happen (unless there is a NADAC trial nearby; she could do tunnelers). The two of us almost never made it into the ring at all. With her fear issues, competing is very difficult but so worth every minute of it. She's a BLAST to work with.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:29pm PST 
For your next dog, Risa, who I assume would be gotten with competition in mind even moreso, would you plan to rescue? And if so do you think you would go to a shelter, or go more with a foster type rescue situation this time?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:33pm PST 
Duncan.....here is some fun reading -

Gundog Form Gabs About Their Rescue Experience with Hunting Dogs
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:42pm PST 
cheerhappy danceapplausehail Wow, everyone!!! You're all so cool!!!

And the Gundog Chat, Tiller....cloud 9cloud 9 Thanks for that!!! I read and gobbled up the whole thing!!

Yay for rescue dogs!!!! cheersnoopy

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 9:42pm PST

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 7:02am PST 
I compete in agility(CPE and AKC) with Shadow. We don't have any titles yet, but will hopefully have one in the next couple months. I didn't get him with agility in mind he was just a great puppy and I fell in love with him. We started agility class when he was 2 and we both fell in love with the sport. He's great at it!

I have several friends with rescue dogs that have earned their CATCH(one has a CATCH 5 with her rescue) and some that have earned a MACH.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:51am PST 
Gus is a rescue "all american" mix according to the canine partners listing . . .

I had vague starry notions of agility when I was looking for a dog, but that wasn't a priority, since I didn't know much about it. She hasn't got any titles in agility we've only been to three trials and unfortunately last summer, every time we were about ready to go to a trial, life events got in the way. Hopefully this summer we'll get a chance to do more.

We did get our Rally Novice title, and we're working on doing advanced this year.

Even though she's got the AKC listing, we've done agility through NADAC and they're very encouraging of any and every kind of dog. There's another student that trains where we do that does the NADAC trials --she's done a fabulous job with her rangy black dog who may have some lab in her. Not sure what titles she has, but they are a super team, so I'm sure they've gotten pretty far.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9