GO!

Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:48am PST 
Duncan, don't let ANYTHING or ANYONE discourage you. There are several venues that welcome rescues (and disabled dogs and disabled handlers) with open arms.

APDT rally was one. I can not predict what World Cynosport Rally will be like as they have not yet completed the transition, but I will be judging my first Cynosport Rally trial in February and I expect it to remain status quot for at least a bit.

C-WAGS is another welcoming venue, very exhibitor friendly, very dog friendly. And they offer Scent Detectives and Rally (I will be judging my first C-WAGS Scent Detective trial and C-WAGS Rally trial in May) as well as Obedience. They recently added a BUNCH of fun Rally games, like teams and Black Jack.

Can't answer much on the side of agility. I have not explored that sport too much, but plan to in the near future.

And, if you are worried, Cyber Rally is a great place to get started, less stress for you, less stress for the dog. There are venues for Freestyle where you can video tape preformances and submit them. there is also a virtual agility league.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:58am PST 
You don't have to be competitive or even have a ton of time to participate cheer
A lot of them are about self-accomplishments. Sure there's always the "1st, 2nd, and 3rd" place titles, but many of them are working toward qualifying scores for yourself.

All about fun for us!

Just wanted to add on that I just received confirmation that tonight Rigby and I will be starting our journey into OB and Rally big grin
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:09am PST 
Yay, Rigby!!!! hamster dance
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:23am PST 
I wanted to put Lobo in Rally, but that now depends on his hip results and if he can handle it. If not, then I would like to get him in nosework.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:25am PST 
I am working the other end of this. Have feelers out to a number of breed people who are researching for me. We are trying to list compile.

Last night, I did some research trying to unearth things in the meanwhile. I am very annoyed that no one in rescue has a promotional list, an effective site to promote rescue in competition dogs, which I think not only ought compete for that market (being a place where the "too much dog" usually ends up....a very desired trait in upper title ambitions; breeder returns often commonly being sought), but also counters the myth that only "bad" dogs are in shelters.

ANYHOW, from my start work last night while I am waiting for my breed people to compile,I have come up with

OTCh. Scapicchio's Custom Cruiser, a Golden who had been in three different homes in a short life until he arrived at his owner's with problems, went to complete his title.

A couple that I knew of....great Giant Schnauzer woman who also had OTCH Speedbump, the first JRT female to earn the title, who was a rescue. And of course Diane Bauman, a Cocker Spaniel charmer (very important to the breed) who also trained the first OTCH Peke in breed history, who was a rescue, and also put an OTCH on a Pom pulled from a shelter at age SIX.

Pat Cook, who was the first Am Staff to earn an OTCH, also a rescue.

Ok. Back to the the research! I know the agility dogs come up HUGE here....let me get that prelim list.

It will be a more extended wait for results from my breed people, but this will be a labor of love. If anyone knows a high titled rescue, post or pm. Post your titled successes too, and if you want to pmail me a testimonial of your journey....pmail me!

Thanks! My hope is to get a promotional site for this. Where it's not just talk "ooo, but you can find your competition prospect in a shelter" but hardcore tangible facts and some feel good stuff, too!

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 12:53pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:46am PST 
@ Rigby particularly....what made you get a rescue pup after Cobain? Was Rigby selected with competition in mind?
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:47am PST 
I know that the club people I interact with participate fairly heavily in rescue. There was actually a little cattle dog pup (7 or 8 months old) who someone in the agility classes had pulled from acquaintances who were going to dump her. She's since been adopted into a sport home (Which was needed, she's a drivey little demon). If I hear of sport/performance appropriate dogs I tend to spread the word as do all the other sport people I know. Most of us have full plates but there is a lot of effort made. There's also a rescue not too far from me that specializes in herding breeds and placing them appropriately. It helps they run a sheep/cattle farm too but I've seen some awesome dogs come out of their rescue.

Ha, Duncan I take more classes than I show and my club is big into competitions. I don't think there's been anyone in ages outside of the Beginner or Puppy classes who hasn't at least put a rally title on a dog.

I'd have to get the woman's permission to post the videos I have but there's a local lady who has Beagles trained through Utility. They're absolutely fabulous dogs (Star is a total ham.) and really encapsulate what it's about. They're happy and they come out with a real sense of accomplishment in a difficult venue.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 12:53pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:00pm PST 
laugh out loud One of the people I have my feelers out to is an ACD person. That is a breed that seems to fall under "the usual suspects" category....little demons given some direction and what can come from that wink
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:05pm PST 
Tiller, I know that Sharon Nelson from NADAC agility has a great rescue program that brings in dogs that do great in agility. I don't know a whole lot about the program, but some of the dogs have gone on to win some pretty awesome awards.

I also know that within ARPH here in the PNW (Aussie Rescue) we promote getting into sports with their rescue dog (pending structure) - ASCA has a great program that allows any ARPH dog a registration for either a discounted price or free (not sure as I can't remember).
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:05pm PST 
Yum! Double post laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 1:06pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9