GO!

Issue with biting at hand during rally

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Charlie

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:31am PST 
I have done rally in the past with one of my other dogs and she did amazing. I recently started rally with my flat-coated mix and she has been a struggle.

Throughout the session she reaches for and tries biting at my hand for the treat. She. Will not fully focus on my commands and almost seems frantic at times while trying to bite for my hand.

I have tried telling her off, 'NO', ouch, but she continues to do it.

Any suggestions?smile
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:31pm PST 
Try not keeping food in your hands while doing the exercises - keep rewards in a bait pouch and try not to rely on luring. It's an easy solution to the immediate problem while you work a bit more on self control and building your dog's understanding of when rewards come for good behaviour.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:03pm PST 
I picked up a pouch tonight and will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 2:27pm PST 
Abused dogs bite frequently out of fear and with little warning. If you think your dog is biting because he was abused, get help from a professional animal behaviorist.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:53pm PST 
Pretty sure this dog is biting to try to grab the treat. I have the same problems sometimes with Sarah. It really helped to get away from treats right in the the hand. I also toned down the value of the reward, from the stinky soft treats to the boring kibble! Sarah went from frantic about trying to get the treat to much better behavior! If she gets frustrated she still gets naughty though!
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:58pm PST 
Thanks! I will try lowering the value of the treat as well. The pouch seems to be working nicely also!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:01am PST 
Good advice. I would add that if you DO have food in your hand (and I often do during training), be sure that hand is held in a neutral position (as already stated, not luring, but may across stomach where you would actually be holding it while trialing).
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:58pm PST 
When training a dog, having a treat pouch will prove to make things easier for you as you wouldn't be focusing on holding the treat and keeping it away from your dog's mouth. When you do make use of a treat pouch, make sure that it will provide easy access for you.
[notify]