GO!

Boots for dogs

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:59pm PST 
I don't know if this is the right board or not, I figured it was as close as I could get.

Anyway, I take Noah running whether it's hot or cold. We had issues this past summer with the hot pavement tearing his paw pads and making his feet sore so I bought him some shoes. They work great and he tolerates them well. The problem is that they need to be strapped really tight to stay on while he runs, which causes sores around his dewclaw and patches of hair loss from the rubbing. I've tried wrapping his legs with vet wrap and putting kids socks on underneath the boots, but neither one really did any good.

Anyone else have experience with a problem like this? I never thought I would need to deal with this since I was always the first person to scoff at doggy shoes, but seeing Noah limping for a couple days after his runs just broke my heart. The boots completely solves that problem but it also has this unfortunate side effect.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:06pm PST 
Have you tries a different type of boot? Neopaws makes some good ones:

https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogshoesdogbootsandlegwraps -c-39.html
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:31am PST 
The RuffWear + RuffWear shoe liners (socks, basically) works well for us.
[notify]

Indiana

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 5:55am PST 
Have you tried Mushers Secret instead of the boots? (http://musherssecret.net/) I had some trouble with Indy tearing his pads when we would go herding but putting this on beforehand has totally helped. Since it was developed for sled dogs it helps protect their feet from snow as well and helps keep it from clumping up in their pads. I got a pretty big thing of it on Amazon for like $16.

Edited by author Thu Jan 10, '13 5:56am PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 10:13am PST 
I will definitely consider the Ruffwear liners, since that is the brand of boots I have. I figured a child's sock would do the trick but I guess it isn't thick enough.

I've also heard of Musher's Secret but hadn't given it much thought since I thought the boots would provide better protection. I think I'll pick up a tin when I put in my next PetEdge order.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:27am PST 
Musher's secret is amazing! We take our dog trail riding with our horses in the deep snow and her paws were actually starting to crack and bleed! So we bought a jar Of Musher's secret from our vet and we have not had any problems since!
[notify]