GO!

Crating Options help?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 6:25am PST 
With Rigby making leaps and bounds in her agility and performance training, she has been coming with me to both agility trials and our demo performances.

She has proved to be excellent in her crate, and I am looking to lighten up my load to bring to these trials. Sometimes I have to take the train and walk a distance afterward so I need something a little easier to transport.

Currently, I have a Nature's Miracle Soft Crate for Cobain
Cobain's Crate

And a medium sized wire crate for Rigby.

Cobain really doesn't need a crate exactly...If I tell him to stay, he's going to stay in there regardless of what's going on around him. Half the time the top of his crate is open so he can stick his head out.

Ideally, I wanted this crate for Cobain, and will switch Rigby to the old red one:
Prospect1
Folds down to nothing, easy set up, and light.
The unfortunate thing with that is there are only a handful of places that I have found that sell these. And the majority of them are in the USA and shipping is either unavailable or ridiculous.
The one place I know in Canada that sells them, has them priced at $50, which I find a bit ridiculous for such a flimsy crate.

However, I was on kijiji the other day and found this:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-Folding-Pet-Carri er-Dog-Cat-Travel-Crate-Kennel-W0QQAdIdZ438580871
$40, looks fairly heavy duty, but still light at the same time.

I guess I just am looking for some prospective in which ones other people prefer and think would be best for me?
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 1:50pm PST 
I wouldn't recommend a Sport Pet crate. I only used mine a couple times before the zipper busted. It also didn't hold it's shape well and tipped over easily. Between the two, I would go for the one advertised on Kijiji, it looks pretty nice.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 2:39pm PST 
Are your dogs OK with sharing a space? If so, you could get something like this so you only need to carry one crate:
http://www.renspets.com/precision-soft-side-expen.html

Or .... You could get a Bernese and have him carry all your stuff in a cart laugh out loud
When we go to outdoor trials I always bring Bosley's cart and he hauls all of our stuff to and from the vehicle.
[notify]

Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:26am PST 
I always watch the ads for used soft crates---new ones in the stores are just too expensive.

Although heavier by a bit, you will want the thicker material like the kennel you already have. I find the thinner material does not survive being carried around, having things piled on it and even the poles used wear through.

Myself I have been thinking of 1 big one for both dogs.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:26am PST 
I was thinking of getting one big ex-pen for the 2 or 3 of them. When we all lived together, the 3 of them would all pile into a 1 dog crate laugh out loud

But my concerns there are that our most common venue for demos has a very confined crating area. There is space for ex-pens, but that's reserved for those who have more than 2-3 smaller sized dogs. And since I'm still relatively new to the group I wouldn't want to be selfish and hog a large area laugh out loud

I am seriously considering the blue crate from kijiji. They said there's no brand name on it, but it's new in the box. I might go take a look at it over the weekend.
With that, all the Christmas money will have gone to the dogs literally laugh out loud
2 Jawz discs
1 pair of boots for Rigby
And now a crate laugh out loud
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:52am PST 
LOL - my gifts from hubby and Santa were dog related items - tracking book, new scissors, new hoodie (with lots of pockets for walks).

And although I only have 2 dogs...I have 6 crates smile
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:52pm PST 
I actually really like the sounds/looks of the one on Kijiji and would seriously consider it. I've actually been considering a soft crate for a while because it would be good for short term use in certain places and while Ria might claw/chew her way out of it, Charlie would just lay back and enjoy the scenery in one.

That blue one is really nice though. I'd go take a look at it and go from there. smile
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:58pm PST 
I have two of the Sport Pet type crates...they are so cheap and honestly don't hold up well enough to spend more than $5 on them (I got mine from Goodwill for $3 and I am still not happy about their performance lol!). Yes, my well trained and crate trustworthy dogs are fine in them, but I have seen dogs from the outside go through them to get to the dog on the inside before shock there was nylon and yelling everywhere...I would only use those crates as a last resort or in a very controlled class style setting.

I had one like the blue crate you have listed - and for the price you can't beat that. I traded mine to a friend for a weave pole base though lol! I only used it three times, but it was a fantastic crate. Just be sure to take care of the zippers and be friendly with it smile.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 4:37am PST 
I've arranged to take a look at the blue one on Thursday (gotta love not having a vehicle all the time...not)

If it's even half as nice as the red one I've got, I think I'll be happy with it.

I guess my only appeal to the sport pet was that it folds down to near nothing so I could throw it in my bag once we got off the train and just go. But from what I've heard here, I think $3 at a Goodwill store would be about what I'd pay!

Hopefully I can sell the wire petmate one prior to purchasing the blue one, so I don't have to spend anymore money silenced
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 7:21pm PST 
I have one like the red one and have had it for 5+ years. It is great that it folds up to next-to-nothing but that's about the only really good thing about it. (Oh and it was cheap!) Risa rolls hers around like a giant hamster ball. wink Fortunately, she is crate-trained so I don't have to worry about her destroying it.

I don't use it that often and I never use it for trialing. I use it most often when we travel to hotels. I also use it on occasion when we have classes and I need somewhere to pop her real quick without wanting to lug around a big crate.

For trialing, I use her wire crate. It's a bit unwieldy but it's safest for her. No dog can get in and she cannot get out. Especially when it comes to lure coursing. I'm pretty sure no fabric kennel could hold back the beast. LOL.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2