GO!

Sarah got her first Q!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 10:20pm PST 
Level 1 Scent Detective for C-WAGS has two scents- birch and cypress. You won't know which one you are going to get. There are several boxes set out (I think they have to be identical but not sure), only one has the scent. You have two minutes to call your dog's indication. If you make a mistake, you do get one more chance. You have to get four Q's (under two different judges) to earn your title. Level two has two scents hidden, they can be birch, cypress, clove, or lemongrass. Level two also uses different containers- bottles, yogurt containers, paper towel tubes, etc...

I think the frustrating thing for me with C-WAGS is you cannot bring a practice scent with you. I understand that you won't know what scent you will get, but it does help to have the box so that the dog knows what is going on. When we trialed, there were two "runs" on each day for Level 1 (4 runs total). Sarah and I failed the first run on both days... It was like she didn't know she was supposed to be working...
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:30am PST 
Do you have a cue that indicates to Sarah that she is now "on" and supposed to work? That might help her, come trial time, realize that it's now time to work.

I use "ready" for Risa since we do rally and the judge asks "Are you ready?" before we can begin and I must reply something to indicate we are prepared. So my cue instructs the judge that I am set to go and it lets Risa know that she is supposed to work now. So, when it comes to training sessions, I start them with "ready" and finish them with "all done." This makes it very clear to Risa that between "ready" and "all done," her focus and attention should be on me. Otherwise, she's on her own time.

Just food for thought.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 5:31am PST

[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:25am PST 
Yes, I tell her "get to work" when we start the run. She also has a harness and leash that she only wears for nose work. It was just kind of weird... We practice at the same place at the trial and she was even rocking level 2 during practice! At the trial, the first time she halfheartedly indicated on the two boxes on either side of the find. On the first one the next day she had NO idea what was going on or where the scent was. She kept looking to me and then she started just screwing around with the boxes- sitting on them, jumping on them.... But not on the right one!!!
[notify]

Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:21am PST 
applause way to go Way to go Sarah! Jasper earned his novice title last October. We start agility again in March...WAY too cold for anything going on here til then.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 1:32pm PST 
Thanks Jasper! big grin.

We start trialing in Rally on Friday!! Yikes!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2