GO!

Bulldog agility?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:58am PST 
I was watching some videos on YouTube that showed a couple english bulldogs doing agility and I was wondering when you actually start training for it? Sparkles is 31/32 bulldog and 1/32 Rottweiler. She's high energy and lives to run and play. She's taller and slightly slimmer than a bulldog with a slight snout so I imagine she can breathe much better than most bullies. She's 10 months old, 45lbs and has been with us for 4 months so she's now very comfortable with all of us. She's my Velcro girl and likes to follow me everywhere. Shes very smart and easily learns new things (when shes not being stubborn lol). What are the requirements for agility and do you think she could do it?
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

Let me sleep for- another five- mintes.

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:13am PST 
You can start TRAINING for agility NOW, just be sure you work with someone who will not introduce certain pieces of equipment until she is physically old enough to do them (like when her growth plates close). There is so much more to agility than jumps and weaves and tunnels.

And BTW, I know a couple of pugs who do agility and do it very well, so if it is appropriate for the dog physically and mentally, go find a class that will introduce the basics (things like focus and send outs and targeting contact zones) and do it!!!
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 12:02pm PST 
I've seen an awesome little Bulldog compete in agility. Bulldogs can definitely do agility with good training and motivation.

I would definitely get started in agility foundations now, it is never too early to get foundation work in!
[notify]

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 2:32pm PST 
Thanks pups! I looked into it today and I found a place that trains agility, beginner, intermediate, and advanced but before I can put her into the beginner course they require her to take and pass a 5 week basic obedience course. It's not a big deal, that would be good for her but I was excited to get started. Guess I just have to be patient lol.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:35am PST 
Looks like growth should be done by about 12 months... even if you more cautiously want to wait until 18 mo for real jumping, there is much to do. Agility is such a fun sport... to me, the whole point is rapid communication between dog and human. Charks loves the wind whipping by... but it's not agility unless I can effectively tell her to 'come about' to do that jump even if charging on to the next tunnel really looks like fun laugh out loud So don't undervalue what you learn in foundation...

Breed is not a real issue as others have mentioned... have a friend who runs a pug... weave poles could be interesting with your pup's wider body... it certainly can be done.

It IS likely your pup will have quite a cheering section as you compete wink It's always fun to see the unusual breeds.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 6:37am PST

[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:32am PST 
Lol, I bet! I hope she will get into it. I think it would be a great thing for us to do together. I know her training would most likely be slow as she tends to be scared of new things. BUT, she is a fast learner when it comes to commands (we started working in heel yesterday and she's almost got it today) and once she learns the scary things aren't dangerous she forgets they were ever scary. She loves to run and play and when in the house jump all over the place. It would be a great outlet and way for us both to keep in shape smile
[notify]
ARCH Demon RL1, RL2, RL3, RLV

Intimidation- seldom- facilitates- learning

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:23am PST 
I personally could not do agility. I get lost on a rally course and we are walking. Sometimes I get lost on my OWN rally courses. Doesn't look good when the judge can navigate her own course.

So I deeply admire those who can do agility and do it well. It is amazing to watch a team so in tune with each other.

Nuff said, I'll go back to tripping over my own two feet now. wink
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:27am PST 
Demon- if I had a dime for every time I have tripped and faceplanted in agility.. laugh out loud
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:58am PST 
You'll have a great time! Run fast and safe wink

Demon - last practice I put a foot just a little too close to Charks' path. So, of course, she stepped on it just as I was trying to step forward... sooo... I checked out the mat, picked myself up and tried again... with a bit more care on how I was positioned laugh out loud

ETA Keep us posted on how it goes.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 12:07pm PST

[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 10:54am PST 
It seems like we aren't going to be able to do it. Not only do I not have the money to spare to get her into training (we're desperately trying to move), she's been limping for some unknown reason (I think she just slipped on the ice outside but I'm hoping its not something serious). It comes and goes but I dont want to push her. I think if we do any, it may just be in the back yard for fun lol.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2