GO!

total trial breakdown

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 2:03pm PST 
Fair warning, this is a self-pity thread.

Today was day one of Mulder first AKC OB trial. We'd had a match at the trial site just a week before, and while he blew his long down, the rest of it was (IMO) good enough to Q.

But today... he just broke down. Admittedly I didn't plan for all this very well, I got there early (like 5 hours early) hoping to practice before we went in. Unfortunately things delayed a bit more than I was expecting.

When it was finally time to go into the ring... he just wasn't there. Didn't hang with me, floated off, didn't want to focus. It was sloppy, but I still hadn't given up hope of the Q.

Until the sit/down stays... at which point he just caved entirely. Wouldn't come to heel, wouldn't sit, when I finally had enough and firmly DEMANDED he heel, he spun around behind me and refused to come sit at my side. The judge asked me to position him, but I knew he was spent... he wasn't going to hold it, and I wasn't about to make him.

I was so frustrated and disappointed, not that he DQed, but that he just gave up on me like that. I've never seen him just throw in the game like that before. Hate to admit it, but I left in tears, it hurt to have made him go through that only to have to scratch him cry
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 2:42pm PST 
hug We all have bad days, sounds like he just wasn't feeling the whole scene. I've definitely had times like that with Onyx where it just seems like he's somewhere else. I get frustrated and it ends up being a vicious cycle, so it all goes downhill from there.

Really sucks to put in all that effort and have it go for naught, but there's always next time. Hug Mulder and start over fresh tomorrow dog
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 3:09pm PST 
It feels like the movie Free Willy. Where they work so hard, and everything is perfect at practice, but in the end he gets stage fright and there's nothing they can do.

Which I've had to remind myself. He may have achieved a god-like status with me, but he's still an animal... he still gets nervous, and still has off days.

We will try again tomorrow. Hopefully, with a better attitude and higher spirits.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 4:01pm PST 
Agreed with Onyx- dogs have days like that just like people do. It sounds like Mulder had a long day and just wasn't into it by the time his turn came.

I've definitely been there with agility and Farley, some days were outright awful. I've left the agility ring in tears on more than one occasion. Sometimes you just have an off-day and there's nothing you can really do other than pack up and give it a go on another day.

hug

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 4:04pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:38pm PST 
hug hug hug

Hoping tomorrow goes better!

Add me to the growing list of people who have left the agility field (as well as a rally run-through) in tears...

I occasionally need to remind myself that dogs can have bad days too, and have learned (the hard way, of course) that there are some days that are going to be disastrous if I try to push the issue, so as soon as I see that storm approaching, it's best to leave it for another day and just go home.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:34pm PST 
I took him to the field where we train and just threw the ball around for him. We did the routine from the trial a few times, just to see, and he did perfect of course. Laid out in the grass for a while and just let him do whatever, and I think we are both feeling better from it.

Hopefully things will go smoothly. Even if he still doesn't Q, I just want him to do well and be comfortable.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:29pm PST 
Mulder, I think we have all been there. I for one, can empathize. Bosley can be a dog that is hard to motivate and that lends itself to some interesting times in the ring. He is also sensitive to my emotions, so of I am stressed or nervous, so is he. We have had some really bad obedience runs but I always try to pick something that was positive. Even though you may think it wasn't great, there is usually something good to focus on from the run, and that is what I really try to do. Not too long ago, Bosley was having a terrible agility run -- not interested, sniffing, etc. I exused ourselves from the ring, gathered up my dog and headed to the ring gait. I told Bosley to "get in" and he heeled perfectly all the way back to our setup. I got "the look" from my friends - you know the one that they give when things don't go so well - but all I said was "did you see how great his heeling was?"

Just to try to make you feel better, I have a "not the best day in the ring" story. Bosley was entered in Open obedience and things were going pretty good. Heeling - nice. Drop on recall - spot on. Then came the retrieve on flat. No problem, I think, he likes this part. I throw the dumbbell, send Bosley and he trots straight out to get it. He reaches down to pick it up and then he stops. His head comes up, nose scenting the air. Then I see him focus on something outside the ring. Someone has a large, open bag of treats on their crate in the benching area outside the ring. I gave Bosley a second "fetch" command, but too late. He jumped the ring barrier, heading straight for the bag of treats. I am calling him but he has a one track mind when it comes to food. Luckily, the owner of the treats saw what was happening and grabbed them before Bosley could. I am still standing in the middle of the ring calling my dog. I think Bosley may have given me a quick glance before he ran to the other side of the very large room to where his crate was set up. He was looking for his "reward" that he gets when he is done his run. It was packed in his training bag so he finally decided to come back to the ring, jumping the ring barrier to get back to me. He looked mighty proud of himself and gave me a look as if to say "what? I came back." Oh, and the whole time he was out, the stewards were trying to catch him, or at least were trying to herd him back to the ring. He doesn't like people he doesn't know to touch him. So no one was going to actually catch him. Ahhh .... the adventures of dog trials smile

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 7:30pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 5:46am PST 
Toto earned his CD with three placings and a High in Trial. BUT... along the way it was AWFUL! He was a 10 months old kennel dog when I got him, and he has/had some serious insecurities.
If there was any stress involved in the ring (once it was raining???, once I raised my voice to make sure he heard the recall command), he would just hop over the ring ropes and search for the closest lap to cuddle in.
Mind you, this was a dog who was really nervous around people!!!
He would be doing perfectly, maybe in the high 190's, when, suddenly, he was GONE!!!
I was also showing him in breed, usually at the same shows, and strangely enough, he decided that no breed judge was going to touch him. The stand for exam was NEVER an issue in obedience, he wagged his tail the whole time the judge was approaching and examining him. I tried giving the stand/stay command in breed but apparently being on the table negated my command for him.
For whatever reason, he got over it, but I quit showing him in breed after 4 straight reserves!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 12:02pm PST 
Thanks for the stories guys smile

We NQed again toady, but he did MUCH better. Actually, the NQ came from me, as I wasn't aware you can't repeat commands... I thought it was just a point deduction confused Felt like the judge kinda chastised me a bit for that, putting it pretty plainly that this isn't Schutzhund and there are different rules (oops).

He also blew his long down with 30 seconds to go, but its whatever... he'd done well up until that point, so I'm happy for him cheer
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 1:44pm PST 
Glad today was better way to go It's definitely always a learning experience, and you can always take something away that will help next time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2