GO!

My Dogs Smell/Sniff :)

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Maluko, RAE,- AX, AXJ, NF,- NW1,

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:47am PST 
Maluko (San Jo Chaka Khan RE, NA, NAJ, CGC, NW1) earned her Nosework Level 1 (NW1) title on 11/4/2012, becoming the 4th Shiba that ever earned this title.

Maluko with her NW1 title ribbon

She had a blast searching for odor in all 4 elements - exterior, vehicles, container and interior and I held up my end of the bargain as a team - trusting my dog's nose, calling out "alert" loudly and confidently when I noticed her change of behavior when she searched (None of the hides were visible, so you really need to trust your dog and be able to tell when they found it).

Maluko ranked #4 overall in terms of search time among 30+ dogs entered that day. She is a steady and methodical searcher!

Koji's Nosework 101 class clip

For anyone that is new to the sports of Nosework, check out this video of my boy Koji when he first started classes, which was a little over a year ago. He was having a blast and loved the game. The search in the video was very simple, but you can see his enthusiasm and joy.

Nosework is great to keep the dog's mind working, building up confidence and helping you learn more about working with your dog. You can find out more about Nosework here, http://www.k9nosework.com/
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:59am PST 
cheer Congrats! We got to play with a box game at a dog event a few months ago. It is fun and I can really see how it would be wonderful for shy or reactive dogs.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 10:09am PST 
What is the odor used for nosework excercises?

I've tried to teach Alva find geocaches but we are stuck because she is now finding my scent, not the caches that are hidden by other people and I don't have anybody to help me. There is also no default scent for a cache so it is a bit tricky when she must sniff for a variety of scents that may exist or not at the cache site - who's walked there, recently touched objects, smell of silica, paper, pen, plastic container, scratched ground etc. - and to find the combination that means a cache.
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:44pm PST 
That's great!

Alva- depends on the venue you compete in. I am competing in C-WAGS and they use birch, cypress, clove, and lemongrass. I think others use birch, clove, anise. I have also heard that some use lavender?

We are getting ready to compete! I have been in classes with Sarah since early last spring. Going to a workshop in two weeks and will get the scent swabs then so we can practice at home. The trials are at the end of December. I am most nervous about being able to "call" her alerts!!
[notify]