GO!

Agility Training

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Mocha Chino

I need to go- outside! I need- to go in!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 12:32pm PST 
Hi everyone! Me and my brother, Peppi seem to have an interest in Agility and was wondering if any of you guys can help us out. We have been to dog parks several of times and we both did really good when our mom brought us to the agility section, which lead us to thinking that we should start training for Agility.

We wanted to know the basics of the training,how to start and where to start. Also, is it a good idea to build a course in our backyard?
P.s. We are know all of our basic commands: Sit, Stay, Come, Lay..etc. And we are both registered with AKC Canine Partners. All help will be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Mocha Chino

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:32pm PST 
Any tips? thinking
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 2:35pm PST 
I strongly suggest signing up for a foundation agility class with a knowledgeable instructor. There is a lot more to agility than running your dogs over equipment and you want to make sure you and your dogs learn the basics the right way. Trying to teach your dogs on your own without having any background in agility will result in you and your dogs having many bad habits which will be hard to un-do later and will hinder you if you decide to compete.
[notify]

MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:15pm PST 
It is true. You need to find a trainer. Agility can even be a dangerous sport if you do not train it correctly. Get a trainer, do it right and do it safely. smile

There is a thread somewhere here called "Oklahoma agility" that discusses some of the safety aspects of the sport. Not knowing what you are doing can cause your dog to wind up at the vet in short order. smile
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:24am PST 
Agility has two major aspects. The first is developing communication with your dog and the second is running obstacles. The communication thing? You'll be working on that always and forever. It's how you and your dog talk to each other while executing the obstacles... in a specific order. If, through a failure to communicate, you and your dog find yourself in the same place at the same time (both of you running at a good speed) one or both of you can get hurt. So, get some training!

And those obstacles... Aslan is dead-on correct. The concern is not just canine-human collisions. YOU need to learn safe handling and your dog needs to know how to handle those obstacles properly. Bad decisions here and the dog will get hurt. So, ditto.

You start agility by having sound obedience... you take a foundation course that will set the stage for how you proceed. THEN you get into obstacles and courses at reduced height. You'll work your way up to the full height... complex courses... difficult sequences of those obstacles.

Agility IS fun. The courses change... complexity, sequence. Ahhhh, I need a fix! laugh out loud
[notify]
Mocha Chino

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 10:26am PST 
Thank you everyone for your tips! Me and my brother are looking for a local agility trainer right now, hoping there is a good one. Also, thank you for telling us that training your dog by yourself for agility could be dangerous, my mom had no idea!
[notify]