GO!

CPE Agility trial...attempt two...and new to weaves!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 10:38am PST 
OK so I had a CPE trial on Saturday and it started off as a rough day...woke up to Indie having pooped on the carpet...so my get up, pack the car and go plan didn't quite happen LOL

So clean the carpet at 6am...head out by 7am...got to the trial by 8am to set up...

Now I had a bad fall off my bike on Friday on my way to work and have a HUGE black bruise on my lower left leg and my right knee...so I knew it would be hard to keep up with Quin.

First run of the day was Jackpot level 1. He ran it in 46.7 seconds and earned 39 points and Qd smile He also got 1st place out of 3 dogs! GO QUIN GO!
And that was with jumping the first jump in the gamble backwards...he ran past it and when i called him back to me, he jumped over it...
We needed 30 points to Q...so I was pretty happy with him.

Second and third runs were Standard runs level 2. This was our first time in level 2 and it involved the weaves and teeter.

Standard run #1 was 57.38 seconds...5 faults but still Qd
He came out at the 3rd weave but did complete it. The courses were very tricky with a lot of options so handling was a BIG thing to work on. He ended up getitng the 5 faults but going for the jump close to the weaves instead of the weaves...but I don't blame him...he came over the jump and I said weaves and he thought...But mom, I am not so sure about the weaves so I am gonna do this jump smile

Standard run #2 was 52.50 seconds with 5 faults and a Q
He did all the weaves on his first attmept through them...I was so proud! I did learn that I need to learn on my directional instructions to him with my hands and body. He jumped one jump backwards (again LOL) and hten forwards so that gave us our 5 faults.

Wildcard...well I had never done it before but I love Wildcard! LOL
His run was 21.08 seconds with no faults and a Q. WIdcard level 1 is all jumps and tunnels and only 11 obstacles so nice and quick and fun smile

Snooker level 1 was out last run of the day adn didnt happen until about 6pm LOL I was trying to get Quin hyped up since he had been napping with Indie in their pen for about an hour and half...so I was poking him and teasing him and egging him on...we get in the ring and get through the hardest part of the course...the opening sequence where you make up your own run with one red obstacle and then to an uncolours obstacle...he was doing so well doing my weaving between obstacles...it wasnt until the closing sequence that he came out of the tunnel and I went to push him over to go to the next tunnel and NOT the jump...and he jumped the jump cause he was so hyped up...barking at me and jumping at me LOL

Still a fun, but long, day smile

Very proud of him..not titles for him this time, but I think I will enter both Indie and Quinlan in the one in December smile

Any pointers for working on him not jumping the obstacles backwards after running past them? LOL
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 1:19pm PST 
Good jobcheer It sounds like you both had a great time.

About the backjumping issue - it is really hard to say why he is doing it or how to fix it without actually seeing what is happening. It could be that he needs a stronger "go on" command, so when you are behind him he knows to keep going and not come back to where you are. Or it could be a handling issue. Hard to say. Do you ever ask him to backjump on purpose?
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 2:23pm PST 
Wahoo! Gotta love CPE smile Love the variety of games to play - I must say that Snooker is my favorite though laugh out loud

As for the back jumping after the dog passes the jump, it could be any number of reasons. If your dog disconnects from the job at hand and either refocuses on you or something else, the dog can run past a jump. Usually when my dogs run past a jump it is because I mishandled it or I didn't build enough drive towards going on without me.

Running past jumps can also be a lack of confidence, my boy requires me to at least be next to, if not in front of him when running - he lacks the confidence, especially in trial environments. I normally don't stress over missed jumps with my girls as it usually is a hole in my training or handling. I will take an NQ to keep my dog moving in the ring.
[notify]

(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 9:03pm PST 
I think he ran past cause of my error for sure...he does get distracted easily and the issue with the back jumping I found was always when there were other obstacles close to the jump I wanted him to go to...so he would vear around and go towards the other obstacle and when i called himback he would jump it reverse...

I am gonna work on it with my breeder/trainer over the next couple weeks I think...

Indie is sick with a stomach bug so we will see when we can all go up next
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 12:36pm PST 
Congrats- sounds like you had fun! Hope poor Indy is feeling better soon, too!

Re: backjumping, when he ran past the jump did you put on the brakes and try to call him back so you could re-send him? If so, he was likely doing what he thought you were cueing him to do, particularly if you've worked on lead-outs or recalling down a line of jumps, if you're on the opposite side of an obstacle, facing him, and calling him back it would be the obvious choice for him to take. Instead of stopping and calling keep moving past the plane of the jump and bring the dog around like you're doing a post turn, wide enough so that he's facing the next obstacle you want him to take- really watch the angle or you'll likely send him off course or cause him to spin back on you. And keep moving! When you decelerate or stop you bring the dog back into handler focus, especially a novice dog that places more emphasis on your motion cues than your verbal cues (ie. a 'go on.')

Maggie/Tika/Porter makes a very good point I think, if it is a handler induced error I would not stop and try to fix it as you're basically correcting the dog for doing exactally what you cued it to do- which can be demotivating/frustrating and cause the dog to slow down and second guess your handling.
[notify]