GO!

Weight Pull Dogs

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Duppy

I'm luv-a-bull

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 6:28pm PST 
Anyone involved in this sport? I recently adopted an APBT and would like to get him in shape, and think training for this might be a way to help (obviously I would work him up to pulling anything.) Just wondering where I might be able to come across an inexpensive harness, especially just to train him TO a harness and see if he will take to the sport. Any other tips, tricks, or learning experiences you can share would be great. It will take some time to get him started, he's about 10 - 15 pounds overweight (previous owner had mastiffs and fed him pretty much the same way) and he was chained for three years, so no muscle tone. But we have probably dropped 5 pounds already, and have worked our way up to mile long walks. Plus he is getting workouts in the yard wrestling and chasing my other dog, in the yard, off a chain. But I have a feeling as he gets fitter, his energy drain requirements will increase, so in the mean time, we could start learning to train to the harness. He's three, so a good age to do this kind of stuff, I think smile
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 8:41am PST 
This is one of the sports I was looking at for Lobo, too. But Lobo is also getting into carting, not just weight pull.

I can't find the link at the moment, but there was someone I was looking at because she custom makes harnesses to fit the dog.

http://weightpullharness.com/Home.html
Brown Dog Designs works exclusively on weight pulling harnesses, I believe. I haven't really looked into them, but they seem to make very nice quality harnesses. She custom fits them as well.

http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/
Black Ice is also pretty inexpensive, and they're where Lobo's carting harness is coming from. They work more on dog sledding equipment, but they do have weight pull harnesses that seem like they're good quality.

While we're waiting, I also make sure Lobo runs frequently. Running adds muscle, so it adds weight, too. I've also worked very long walks into our schedule; long walks get rid of fatty weight.

Edited by author Mon Aug 27, '12 8:42am PST

[notify]